1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Menards going rates for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Haden61, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Can any of you help with the plowing rate that Menard's is paying you for 16' blades with wings on tractors and 9' truck plows with wings. Also with back blades. The company I plow for plow per trip not by the hour. We are limited to how much we are going to make by the hour, are we not? Thank you for your help, Haden61.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

A buddy of mine had a Menards a few years ago and all they used was pickup trucks. I believe he was getting $75.00 per hour per truck.

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I don't think your approach to this is correct. You should know what the hourly rate is that you need to get in order to operate each piece of equipment profitably. The question then becomes is Menards willing to pay that amount. If not, move on and look for jobs that will pay you the $$$ you need to operate profitably.

4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

We get $950.00 @ 2-4" 4.01-6" + 25% 6.01-8" + 40% 8+" is flat rate of 175ph per trk.

5. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Menards

Thanks for the replies. Kipcom, how many acres is the lot? I like your pricing also, the owner said that a represenative from corporated Menards gave him some figures. Of course he probley wouldn't give him the premium price that we get. Sounds like you get the kind of figure that it should be. As for what it takes to be profitable and what we get, that is two different figures. The boss wants to get the most he can, it returns to all of us as bonus's at the end of the season. Still if your able to get $175 for your 7.5' truck anyone know what to top is for the tractors? Thanks for your help again. Haden61

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

They avg 13 acres

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Question, what is Menards?:confused:

8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Home improvement store, similar to Lowes or Home Depot.

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the response

10. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Menards

Menards is a large lumber yard and a Home Depot cross.

11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Haden.......Are you talking directly with Menards or a prop.
    maint. company? Most of those malls sub all their maint.
    to another large maint. company and the stores usually have nothing to do with it.

There are threads here about 2 of those nationwide maint.
    cos. US Maintainance Co. and another named Dentco.
    They handle a LOT of big mall and such.

Read the good and BAD about both. Don't get screwed or
    lowballed out of business. Make sure who you are working/
    subbing for...................geo

12. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Menards

They are talking with Menards in Wisconsin and the store location. Sorry for the delay in my response, I was on vacation.

13. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i do local target on a "per occurance" basis...wouldn't want it any other way. i based my rate on it taking us 3 hrs per occurance. normally pound it out in little over an hour

14. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Menards

We agree to the per occurrence. The lots add up to 9 acres, looks like 6 truck hours. I think that is why the owner guaranteed it to not be over $1200 max starting at 1". He asked the store manager to not look at the hour rate, just the end results. I think his per hour bid was off the Menards charts. We'll see if we get it. It sure will be handy if we do since we are doing the 14 acre Walmart right beside it.

15. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Good luck with getting paid from Menards. Several contractors including myself are owed alot of money from them, that they are not willing to pay. They dont like paying for daytime snowfalls, and salting is out of the question. They just plain suck, IMO. Did them for years as a side job, when there parking lot was about 1 acre. Then they built a new facility 7 to 8 acres of parking lot. They signed my per plow contract and made it an attachement to there standard plow subcontract. After 3 or 4 snowfalls they started asking me what i was charging them per hour. I told them that we dont charge them by the hour, etc. They kept up with the crap, and finally said we were charging to much per hour, and that they also did not want to pay for daytime plowing. Even if requested.

Well we are going to arbitration soon. But I would suggest to stay away from any Menards lot!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

Menards

Thank you for the information. Can you you get me a phone #, I am sure my boss would like to get in contact with you if you don't mind. He does not do email. Haden61

17. sonjaab

HAYDEN...........The Dentco and US Maint. threads are at the "other
    site". You should read them closely. They may be helpful to
    your boss !

Snowworks will fill you in!.............geo

18. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Phone is 847-561-3197

Tell him to call anytime.

Chuck B.

19. sonjaab

Haden......ME BAD.........Those threads are here....I brought one up to the top for ya to read..
    ITs the US Maint. one.........geo

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004