1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

menards for 10k a season????????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windrowsnow, Sep 29, 2009.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

placed a bid for a menards in our area....called today to follow up....went with a contractor an hour away for 10 grand for the entire season not including salt menards will supply it. measured the lot out to be roughly 9 acres of pavement with no place to put the snow in the lumberyard....how is this possible?

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I bid on a couple here, one that was 8 acres went for 12k, allegedly someone was going to do all the southeastern wisconsin stores for that much. The manager returned (after 5 calls or so) my call, and asked me if I "actually get those rates" I quoted. Yes, F@#$ you, guess I know not to waste my time bidding on a menards again. $60 an hour for a truck....load the snow out of the lumber yard for free.....spread their salt for free....I dont know what the point is, why even waste your time.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I tried bidding last year on our Menards. F that, they are freakin nuts. They were mad at me because I was going to spread salt at the same rate I do minus the salt cost. All they were spreading was solar salt, so $3.50 off my 50lbs of material applied price. The manager said I was nuts. Oh well, I will make money somewhere else then buddy!:)

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Thats nuts, thay want you to salt for free!

There the next walmart

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

yeah, the manager that I talked to seemed mad at me for my bid. trying to belittle my pricing f you buddy.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

spreading their salt is the new thing...i have a customer wants us to do that.

didnt like it when we said we would not be liable for a slip and fall due to running out of salt...they wanted us to manage their salt too!

8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Menard's and Meijer no good

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, first compliment I've received in a while.

Here I thought I was just giving smart ass replies and not helping as the intent of this site is.

12. WIPensFan

Mark, that was a smart ass reply. :nod:

13. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

All the Menards stores is my area are the same way. Low bid get the work period. They want you to load your spreader with their 50lb bags and de-ice the entire lot. Let the idiots do these stores for nothing and at the end of the season they can look back at what they really made.

14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I bid on one last year. I dropped my panty on our per hour price and i was at $69 per hour. I figure i would make up for it with the amount of salt we would put down since it was about 11 acres with the lumber yard.
    After i did my song and dance to the manager about our experience and equipment line up he told me a guy who lives across the street from the store had quoted $35-$40 per hour (not sure exact amount it was last year). Even the manager couldnt believe the guy was that low.
    The manager had come from a different store and he said they usually get quotes in the $50-60 range. The guy had 3 trucks so he signed the contract with him. Pretty much the manager knew the guy was going to screw it up but corp. told them to go with the lowest.

I wish i would have gone by there last year when we got 6" of snow to see how they did:cry:

15. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I wont bid ours for the same reasons as stated above. Plus I don't like the fact that you have to wait for the rent-a-cop to show up just to let you into the lumberyard portion.

J.

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

When i bid last year they said they built some "plow like thing" that they strapped onto there folk lifts and would start plowing the lumber yards "if they felt like it"

17. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I was going to say the same thing about the forklifts here. Apparently they have a corporate directive to whip out the strap-on, if they feel like it.

Mark & WiPens... tongue in cheek really, me no smart ass. I think you abruptly ended a couple of threads from noobs who didn't use the search before -by posting a link that beat the subject to death.:salute:

18. WIPensFan

I've never posted a link - cause I don't know how to :drinkup:

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

"Rent-a-cops. I hate rent-a-cops too."

20. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I drove by my local Menards last year and I saw them using these out in the main parking lot. I couldn't help but laugh...I wish I had my camera with me.