1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

melting wires

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by stumppin, Dec 26, 2009.

1. stumppin

stumppin Junior Member

I have a 97 ford f350 diesel with a western poly type blade 3 springs, red pump. For years everytime i would set it up i would have to mess with the little wire going from the solenoid to negative battery terminal to make the plow move. Last week i had to move it every 10 minutes. My plow cylinder where the positive and negative cables hook on plow began to smoke, I unhooked the two cords from plow. The cylinder nuts are now loose from the heat and power cable going to truck began to melt. Just before this happened the solenoid became unmounted from truck body. could this have been my problem the whole time (a loose mounting on my solenoid?) If so what parts would i need to fix the problem?
    New cylinder and power hookup

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If electric does not have a "ground", it will become very stupid and go anywhere.

That little wire that connect to the solenoid, is it "black strip orange"??

If so, it comec off the small terminal from the solenoid, and should be attach to the "negatived" side of the battery. For the plow, you should have a power cable. The power cable has two leads, the one with the "black strip red" is the positive, and the "black" wire is the negative. The small "black/orange" wire that come from the plow light harness, has to be grounded with the plow (power cable) negative, to the pump mounting bolt.

Here is a diagram to help you out

mtrelayA.jpg

The solenoid must be bolt down.

mtrelayA.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. twinman326

you have two of the same post on here

4. stumppin

stumppin Junior Member

thanks twinman i suppose i need to buy a new pump since studs are loose on pump and a small hole blew out on bottom. Should I replace the solenoid also?

5. twinman326

The pump, or the motor.Your probably talking about the motor. Did u have any wires cross? How did the bolts holding the motor in place come loose, or were they loose already??

Honestly, some would say no, I would say yes, replace the solenoid for another 10.00 or so..

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I'd replace the motor, solenoid and the battery wiring. If your wiring was indeed smoking chances are it's probably garbage, the motor is probably trashed from intermittent current and the solenoid probably smoked when the wiring did.

Don't cheap out on the solenoid (actually it's a DC contactor) either unless you want to change it frequently, look for a 100% duty cycle rating.

This is great one.
    http://shopping.murcal.com/Catalog/Bear-DC-Contactor-Family/114-1211-020

7. twinman326

After I change mine, haven't had any problems regarding relay failure.

make sure you do change the motor, it's gone....

8. stumppin

stumppin Junior Member

I suppose its the motor its where the cables connect to 2 studs. I'll replace all 3. The studs became loose from heat I suppose. Thanks

9. twinman326

probably the stud was on it way out and that probably what cause the problem. Replace the parts you need..When putting it back together make sure all connections are tight, and check those ground wires to make sure they are not loose.

10. stumppin

stumppin Junior Member

Thanks for everyones feedback