1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Melting/Refreezing...Do you go back out?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by huskertaz, Dec 12, 2005.

1. huskertaz

huskertaz Junior Member

Ok. I have some apartment complexes that called me today. The story is that it snowed 5 days ago. Today they called and said that I should be out there checking for ice when it thaws and refreezes in the mornings. Does anyone do anything like this? I went out and put some more sand and salt down to make them happy, they are paying for it. There was no snow on the parking areas, it has been melting for three days with temps over 35. The melting is from piles and from in between cars.

2. Stoney

Stoney Member
    from NW OHIO

Give em what they want and send them the bill!!!

3. Laughterman

Laughterman Junior Member

We have a few high maintenance clients who want us to do that as well. We do and they pay for it. Nothing like making money when the snow isn't falling. payup

4. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Yes I do,

My commericals want me to come out to salt there walkways after they are cleaned up. I couldnt believe how much ice I had after the last storm in NYC. After 4.5 inches of snow it rained and that made everything very wet. The second the sun went down everything iced up. I re-salted every one and salted a little more than I usually salt so it would melt and dry up. The wetness became soild ice. Do it and don't even think about charging them, no one wants a lawsuit,

5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I think this is normal for a full service account, just make sure if it's not in your contract they are willing to pay for it.

6. huskertaz

huskertaz Junior Member

Thanks for the help and information. One other thing. Should I tell the prop. manager to post signs for the residents to move their cars so we can clean up the spots better. That would also reduce the amount of ice from melting. Some people move their cars when we are there to cleaned spots. Is this logical or not even worth the try. Otherwise, they expect us to shovel between EVERY CAR.

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I used to plow out an apartment complex.... but I also worked there as a maintenance man so we would clear spots as people moved them.. Policy was if you did not more your car the spot would not be cleared... people would eventually catch on... I actually preferred it when the people would wait until we cleared all the empties then move there card to those spot then we could clear again... But you would always get the guy who would barley clean off his car to move it then ounce he got to the clean spot would brush everything off the car... talk about the urge... :mad: :realmad: :angry:

8. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I usually check commercial accounts daily to see if there is ice on them... I know I've had to salt one place once at night and once in the morning.

9. little pat

little pat Member

Definitely go back and do what they ask for, just make sure to bill them for the service. Good to make money in between snowfalls.

10. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

what he said.

11. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

salting

Always plow the snow uphill..You know you will be in for constant sanding.My accounts require being sanded at each change of shift, and they pay.

12. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

what does your contract state?

it all depends what your contract states...this is the reason why we have 'contracts'...it states what you are 'contracted' to do.

if you haven't addressed this, then you should create a 'change order' and put the 'changes' in writing. therefore, you will have no problems.

just my .02

brian

13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, thats right..payup