1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Melting In Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BillytheMelter, Sep 20, 2005.

1. BillytheMelter

BillytheMelter Junior Member

John Deere 175 HP Tractor pulling Trecan 40 ton Melter
    at a Large motorcycle factory in Milwaukee,

billymelter.jpg

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

that things pretty cool but im not very familiar with them do they just pump out water and wouldnt that water juist turn to ice for us to salt

3. BillytheMelter

Step one is to fill the tub up 2/3 with water. Start engine and engage large blower. Blower blows through red heating unit straight down into melting pot.
    Fire up the burner and start melting! As snow is added to melting pot water level rises and goes over grates and down into pipes and into an open sewer. ON warmer days I can spread the water over a small lot and deice down to pavement. For more info and pictures of units 4x the size go to trecan.com
    Yes, we get to spread more salt when we are done.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  4. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

That old John Deere brought back alot of memories. My first plow experience was when my grandfather used his old 175 hourse fourwheel drive John Deere to clear the local rural roads and the farm. He passed away in 91, over 10 years ago. But forever planted a seed in me for a passion of large equipment among other things. Thanks for walk down memory lane!

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That thing is really cool, I hate to ask but whats the price on one of them melters?

6. BillytheMelter

$300,000-goes through 75 gallons diesel per hour-not bad

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

lol, not bad at all...I think Ill pick up a couple tomorrow.

8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

might as well buy a tanker truck while youre at it

9. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

LMAO!!! :drinkup: