1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Melted wries! I've about had it!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bossman 92, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well a little while back I posted about how I hooked up my 9'2" Boss and the pump or motor continued to run after you let go of the joystick. I greased everything and changed controlers and the problem went away. Well about a week ago I hooked that same plow to a different truck and it worked fine. Yesterday I go out and try to raise the plow and it goes up but the wings won't move. I dropped it dack down then it won't raise it back up. We messed with the connections and it started working. I moved the truck 50 yards and went through the motions of moving the plow then set the plow down, and it sounds like the pump is still running so I unhooked the controler. I get out and find that the HOT wire (the big red wire thats bundled to the big ground wire has melted the coating off itself. I let it sit for awhile and tried it again with the same results, but the plow raises very slow. I changed the controlers and had the same results.

WTF???? This plow has a demon in it somewhere, and I don't know what to do. It seems logical that the relay on the truck is sticking on, but I don't know why the plow raises so slowly.

Thanks, from a very confused Bossman

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Do you have a good ground, are the wires on the right way, like you said, bad relay, I'm just throwing some things out there. You said you switched the plow to another truck, and it worked ok or nor? Raising slow....low on fluid or bad motor.

3. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

Melted wires is generally traced back to having a bad ground somewhere. Check all the ground connections and clean the connections on the battery terminals

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Including under the pump cover.

It's slow because of a poor connection and the hot wire now being smoked. Going to need to replace some parts to be reliable again. Hate to say it but I knew it wasn't fixed the last time BM.

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Alright I will check all the connections again.

B&B you called it. You said last time when I "fixed it" that it wouldn't last.

Better to have thses problems now then when it's snowing I guess.

Thanks Bossman

6. onyxboy03

onyxboy03 Junior Member

I had the same problem last night. what ended up being the problem?

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Most likely a bad ground. Check yours under the pump cover, and on the truck. Check the frame grounds on the truck aswell.

8. onyxboy03

onyxboy03 Junior Member

could the bad gounds be on the plow? because i just bought the new plow and havnt used it yet until lastnight and thats when i had the problem. it melted the pos wire on the solenoid. and the pos on the plow plug makes sense to me, the guy i bought it from said he replaced the motor this year. my voltage meter was always dropping and the plow wouldn't raise? relays just clicking. still could be from a bad ground?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A poor connection ANYWHERE in the system will cause melted connections, hot cables, and short lives of the electrical components, plow side included.

10. onyxboy03

onyxboy03 Junior Member

checked all the grounds replaced the solenoid just incase and replaced the melted wires. turns out to be the electric motor is bad. the problem is why did the motor go bad? i just bought this plow used off of someone who said they pulled it out of storage this year and the motor was shot, put a new motor in and everything works great. i used the plow for a total of about 3 hours and the electric motors shot again. fluids full, connections are good, didnt have any problems with the other plow I was using. could it be possible he bought a bad motor? hooked the wires up wrong? I dont want to patch the problem by putting a new motor in and having it break again with in 3 hours, i want to fix the problem.

thanks

hopefully b&b will be on here soon!!!

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Where is the motor ground cable attached? To an insulated stud on the motor (like the positive cable) or on a bolt on the motor case...or on the plow frame work?

Where exactly are the plow cables connected on the truck side? And what kind of truck?

Does the motor have a Boss decal on it?

Premature motor death is only caused by three things. 1) holding the functions on too long (not likely in your case). 2) high resistance in the cables/connections, 3) or a cheap aftermarket motor.

12. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

pushing across highways

Ive seen alot of guys pushing across highways this yr on Long Island, I thought it was illegal. Almost took one out when he thought he had the right of way and pulled out in front of me on a major highway, then on another road a small payloader did the same thing, does anyone ever push these guys snow trail back into there entrance or do you just travel on

13. onyxboy03

onyxboy03 Junior Member

the cable are attached to the neg post and the pos post on the plow motor. ill have to look for the decal when i take the motor out tomorrow, theres no decal on the top of the motor. the cables are connected to the battery. and its a 99. f350 powerstroke.

thanks for the help b&b iv read a lot of your post then they been very informational I really appreciate it.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok so it's a double post motor which is good and it appears all you're connections are where they should be. So I'll go out on a limb here a little and say it was an aftermarket motor. Which are basically useless for anything but a door stop.

But keep us posted for a decal. I like to know when I'm on the right track. :D

15. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

This might not apply, but when my first motor went (original, ~2yrs old, no ground post) I took it apart and the problems were, 1- all 4 brushes completely worn down, 1 especially so where it might move out of bracket with motor turning, 2- so much brush dust that this may have been shorting out motor internally. I cleaned out the dust, adjust brush bracket just so I could test it out- it worked like new.

I bought power unit for immediate plowing and have yet to install the after market brush kit-need to drill ground post in motor housing.

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member