1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

melted plug?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by leigh, Oct 16, 2015.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Brand new md 80 plow on a 2015 Silverado 1500, raised. lowered,angled plow for a couple of minutes.Noticed that the hydro line to the lift cylinder was blazing hot,and the plow plug was melted together!All connections are good. the manual said that the hydro fluid is all set from factory.Checked level and had to add approx. 16 oz.Sounds to be making a laboring sound when raising.There's also a major current drain that sets off multiple warnings on dash! Any thoughts?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely sounds like a grounding issue.

3. leigh

from CT

Grounded straight to battery,tested one hour after connection! Dielectric grease and tight connections. Getting a bad feeling about my choice in plow!

4. 1olddogtwo

Where the ground makes connection the plow motor itself?

Either a bad motor or lack of grounding will cause a high amp draw.

5. leigh

from CT

Brand new plow,took off all factory connections and applied dielectric grease and made sure tightened good.

6. 1olddogtwo

Is the grease under/between the connections....I thinks that's ur problem at 2 or 3 points is causing the high resistance

Google how to apply

7. leigh

from CT

I'll check.Same thing I've done on all my plows for the last 25 years.

8. 1olddogtwo

I understand what ur saying, I'm just saying its not a very good conductor for power by design. It's a good protector against corruption.

If it was myself, I would pull the battery and plow points, clean and try again to rule out that. To much in the plug also will cause a poor ground/power.

I've always placed the grease to the top/outside of the connections to protect.

9. leigh

from CT

I'll check it out again when I get a chance sat .I want to check amp draw, need to borrow a tester.Still wondering why the lift cylinder hose is not enough to burn me!Have to check with my laser thermometer.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Was it just the lift hose that was hot?

What plug was melted?

11. leigh

from CT

Just the lift hose,thought maybe it was air bound? Thought maybe that would account for heat? Compressed air? The other hoses were normal. The melted plug was the hot wire(redline).The rubber was fused together where the male and female terminals go together,this happened before I added dielectric grease,I was just testing and raised, lowered and angled plow 10 - 15 times.

12. dieselss

Never seen "air" cause heat like your describing.
    I'm thinking there's an issue in the up circuit, or your motor is bad.

13. leigh

from CT

Took your advice,removed all connections and took off excess dielectric grease.Noticed that the eyelets on power and ground were much larger than the studs so I added washers to make the contact surface larger.Took it out for a test and when operating plow it would draw down volts and all sorts of warnings would show up on dash.Still noticed a laboring sound when raising plow.Took temp measurement of lines,all were in the 60's except the lift which was 165 deg! With the plow raised I cracked the fitting at lift cyl and let it bleed down to the ground.Then I attached jumper cables to the the solenoid and neg battery terminal to see if the truckside cables might be bad.Lifted plow and it seemed much faster and quieter.Took off the cables and took it for test drive,everything was good!I've never heard of the air problem either,but it was the only thing that would account for high temps in my twisted mind.Now the ? is,did I do any damage to pump,or the wiring harness that will show up later?Time will tell. Thanks

14. dieselss

Glad it's fixed, I'd say no to the damage