1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Melted hydraulic hose?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by johnmctyre, Mar 2, 2008.

1. johnmctyre

johnmctyre Junior Member

the guy i work for has a Western plow, and today when he went to start his truck up and lift the plow, all the sudden whit smoke came out of one of the hoses that controls the angle of the plow and as i looked closer i noticed that the hydraulic fluid was actually so hot that it burned right through the hose!! needless to say the hose was completely burned to a crisp. any ideas? im not sure on what all the info you need, but i know it is a newer western plow. i was looking and there was now way that there would be anything else to melt the hose besides the fluid. could someone help me out? thanks in advance!!!
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Melted hoses are due to a poor ground path between the plow pump motor and the truck battery.

When you operate the plow motor it pulls upward of 200 amps or more. And if the ground cable is loose or has a poor connection between the plow and the battery the ground will begin to "search" for it's own path back to the battery. Many times going through one of the hydraulic hoses as their an excellent ground path since many of them have steel braid manufactured into the inner jacket of the hose.

The steel braid will get so hot from the current passing through it that it will literally melt the braiding right thru the rubber hose material.

So go over the ground cables/connections carefully for the plow and the truck as good measure. I'm certain you'll find a poor connection some where.