1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meijer Stores

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Matson Snow, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone out there know what level service they expect or pay for...I was at the local Meijers a little while ago and that lot was in Rough shape...Snow coverd and ice spots everywhere...Thats not the only lot i have noticed in rough shape..Is it just a sign of the times or Bad contractors that low balled this work..Is it the stores that Don't want to pay for top notch service...Lets Hear peoples Thoughts...

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Meijers has a reverse auction website. THe best lowballer in the area wins them. The ones in our area for day time plowing went for $175 a push. No way I would touch that. They also go really really cheap on the salt.. Not worth your time on those places.

3. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

why would anyone do that.

4. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Because they want to say they have the job. They just have to do drivelanes, and the rear of the building but still.

5. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

the contractor that does the meijers in dewitt uses all trucks, no pushers. it's funny to watch.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What's so funny about that? I've seen guys with Eblings make short work of drivelanes at large grocery chains. Faster than a tractor w/pusher in some cases.

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

but not in MOST cases... and the most likely didnt have eblings

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You have got to be kidding me?

I bet you think a bucket is faster too.

The service level has definitely gone down at Meijer's the past couple years and they seem to be OK with it.

9. Matson Snow

Mark...You are not plowing the Meijers stores in GR for $175 per push are you...:dizzy:

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No I don't Oomkes but are you really trying to tell me a truck with an Ebling can't outdo a tractor with a pusher during the day in a crowded parking lot?

11. Matson Snow

Reason why i made this thread is, i see alot of lots that the service is less than Steller...I was just wondering if its the the contractor that gave such a low bid that he has to cut corners..Or is it the business that has told the contractor to cut back on services...

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How big is a Meijers lot that it can't be done with trucks?

13. Matson Snow

Dont hold me to this..Site size varies..6+ Acres

14. Matson Snow

It can be done with trucks...Many lots were done with trucks before everyone had pushers......

15. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Wish I was. I watched the auction this year, I will do some looking through my email to find the winning bids. I remember the one at 54th and cldye park went for something in the $500 range for a complete night time lot plow. Loaders went for around $80, and truck went for $45. Entire lot salt where crazy low, around $400. Gas station went for $25 per push and $17 for a grass cut. Screw that.

16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

My uncle held the contract to both holland stores several years ago, I can remember when they wanted the cart corrals shoveled out and the snow between the trash compactors shoveled out (it was a lot of work). Now that i think of it, I dont think that their clearing the whole lot, the snow is just pushed into piles in unused areas of the lot and most of the parking spaces are not cleared here either. Maybe a sign of the times???

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What are the specs like?

18. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Plow every 2. They have three different push prices and three different salt prices. Depends on how much you clear. Daytime, half lot clear and full lot push, or something like that or the breakdown of the per push stuff. They also always wanted the drive-thrus cleaned. Salt after each plowing, do nothing when under an inch. Come out whenever storm managers requests it. All additional work is by hour. Be on lot within 2hrs of 2 an inch snowfall. I will try and find the email tomorrow and send it to you, it has everything. Complete joke. You enter you bid a couple days before the auction starts and watch it go down from there. The lawn cuts bids are crazy low, they cut the grass at the stores for around 100.

19. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

I found the specs, contract and works. I sent it to your email. Let me know if you don't get it. If you need my password to go in the site, let me know, and I will send it.

20. coral

coral Senior Member

i think the contracts aren't what ya do, but who ya know....just like every where else....