1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

megav set-up

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by kramer56, Jan 11, 2009.

1. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

you guys have any chevy and the new v? i just cranked my t-bars and was forced to change my plow set up, i now am at the middle hole at the aframe mount and stack stops at the 3rd hole. the chrome at the cylinder is barely there when raised but the thing has good ground clearance when in vee mode. if i change it to the 4th hole my clearnce goes from 5" down to 2 3/4" so i left it in the 3rd hole. should this stay that way i have it or maybe weld a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" steel on bottom of stack steps or top of aframe, what you think? any input and especially pics would be great?

2. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

Get a leveling kit for the truck. They are around $250. Probably need to have someone install it for you. You need a special tool to remove the torsion key. Cranking up the torsion bars is very hard on the truck. Plus with a leveling kit you can go up in tire size without rubbing the fenders. We have been installing leveling kits instead of Timbrens. Some cases we do both. The leveling kit really makes the truck look nice in the off season as well.:D

www.truxxx.com
    www.readylift.com

Both have nice products. We install a bunch of the Truxxx kits with the 2.5" lift in the front and the 1" blocks in the rear. Little more money but we think it's worth it.

Here is an 08 Super Duty with the front and rear leveling kit. Without the tires in the bed the truck sits level. I should have taken the OEM wheels and tires out of the truck before I took the picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

yes thank you but thats not gonna happen until atleats spring, but i was more concerned with the plow set up, whether i should change things or leave it or modify just a bit.

What would happen if the cylinder bottoms out before the stops touch anyway? I really don't know.
    Right now the cylinder is stopping right at the stack stops and i mean close. is that gonna damage anything, i mean that cylinder has to have some kind of tolerance for that right?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The leveling kit does nothing. If your stock keys will level your truck, that's all you need, well shock extenders or longer shocks also. The leveling kit is a money grab and yes I have a Cognito leving kit, for those who want to argue with me, all it does is help your ride, Save some money and crank waht you have first, personally I've never had a pair of stock keys not level my truck.

5. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

I installed a cognito kit on my buddies truck for him and it didn't do squat as far I could see. But like i said i was more concerned with plow set up not the truck.

Hey S Melchi how are customers likeing the plows? any feedback positive and negatives????

6. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

My customers have been extremely happy. No complaints. But my guys aren't tinkering and screwing with them all the time. I did have a guy bend a 9" wing extension. But he didn't blame Sno Way for it. I can't believe it, Sno Way covered it under warranty.

I would put your T bars back where they were and get back to plowing!!! Seems like easiest fix to me. I probalby would call Sno Way before you start modifying their product by welding stuff all over the place. You might not have a warranty after your all done screwing with your plow.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Indexed key are the same as cranking, they are not easier on the front end. I don't crank mine in the winter because I agree it is harder on the front end and the weight of the plow makes it worse.