1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MegaV problem

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by kramer56, Jan 8, 2009.

1. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

OK so I used the plow today for about 3 hours and it got pretty warm but worked good, it got slower but workable. So I got home and let the plow set for about 3 hours and started again, ONLY there was a problem this time. The left wing would NOT go back only forward. It go back very very very slow when i used a macro for V position but to angle left or use the left wing button I had to keep pushing it a million times to get it all the way back. This went on for about 25-30 minutes. What the hell is it is it air or ice in the system. This has happened before not lately, and I have had no fluid loss except thru the cap. The wings go against the relief quite easy in my opinion but when it does it seems to lose fluid around cap. Now is it possible the cap is letting air in the system or moisture.
    I remember a few years back Fisher had the same issue and there problem was the cap on resevoir was messed up.

Air or Ice? any help guys? I am going tomorrow to get the fluid changed for that warranty fix thingy Tom was talking about and I getting new wing check valves as well.

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Perhaps it is a sticky valve in the valve body or a loose wire. Thus preventing the correct fluid directioning inside of the pump. More than likely a simple fix. Have you got all the upgrades to the plow yet. Seems to solve most of the issues with the blade. I am very happy with mine even out of the box. No issue to date other than those useless stickers. They survived a total of 20ft of pushing distance.

3. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

lol on the sticker my 2nd is still on tho. It worked flawlessly today. I still think the cap is bad because even today there is fresh oil on top of resevoir again and my fluid level is down about 1" AGAIN. This cap is pissing me off. I have added 1.5 quatrs already since 10/29/08, I should not have to add any right? Has anyone ever thought of maybe a more oil resevoir may help this lifting issue?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't realize you bought one Daff, actuallly I thought sales of the Mega were still suspended but I guess not.

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sales are no longer suspended.

Daff shoot me a PM and I will have some new stickers sent your way.

6. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

JD they shouldn't have suspended them to begin with. The more minds out there may stumble on to something for all of us. Mine works great but still has a few things messed up but nothing to where it is unacceptable and I would buy another tommorrow. I may call Andy again today to see the progress on the issues.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's good news then Tom, I wasn't aware of.

8. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Stickers?? there is more than 1 lol

Tom is fluid supposed to come out of cap when the wings are being pushed against bank?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

No oil should be coming out the breather.

Get in for the oil change that has been discussed. It is possible that your oil has been compromised my the heat issue. Let me know if that helps.

10. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

i am getting that done today or tomorrow but the cap is still gonna let the new oil out isn't it.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Tonight is the true test night. So far the blade is almost flawless, other than the touchy controler. The new upgraded one is in and so are the wings!! For the stickers I think they will just stay off. I have been thinking of having some teeth air brushed on the front of the blade, much like the WWII planes of the past.

I must say they (SW) really put alot of new engineering into this blade. They greatest feature is the trip mechanism along with the DP. Nothing nicer than the hole blade tripping rather than the bottom cutting edge. The blade will even move the hard ice melted snow (glacier like banks) with in reason. It is a shame of how a simple miss calculation in the lifting geometry can cause so much grief. Sure perhaps a little more in the way off field testing could of resolved the issue, but I think that is all water under the bridge.

All I know is that the blade gets lots of looks and will move a moutain of snow. Balast is required and perhaps a 1 ton front suspension. Thinking of swapping out the 2500 springs for the HD 3500 ones. All in all I would buy another one. From my guesses the blade should shave my plowing time by 40% or so. Will post tomorow with the results. By the way I still am running only one battery to see if the power fades with temps.