1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mega V problems fixed??

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by stackmaster, Oct 30, 2009.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

I've been running Meyer straight polys for the last 14 years or so. (not too thrilled with the last one but will save that for another thread) We just signed a two year contract for a Condo complex and will need something more versatile. We will be doing a fair amount of back dragging on driveways and will also need to scoop snow to pile in designated areas. I am looking at the Mega V because of the amount of back dragging I will need to do. I'm hoping that the down pressure will do a good job of that. However, after searching the site and following various threads, there sure seems to be alot of problems with the MEGA series at least there was last season. Does anyone know if these bugs have been worked out?? My dealer (Caytec, in Calgary) had one set up in the yard that they had just installed and he let me play with it. The hydros seem quick enough but I'm wondering what else I should be looking for as far as fixes. He printed off the service parts manual and the pump is listed as part # 96111958. I originally wanted to look at the Revolution as it looks like the best of both worlds but have heard so many bad things that I am skeptical. While the Mega V looks bullet proof it sure is heavy. Whatever I get it will be mounted on a 2005 F350. Any help would be much appreciated. Basher ???????

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the serial number if it is a MPV2XXX then its the new model. If it is a MPV1XXX it is a refurbished unit. Major differences and if you intend to use it for stacking a MPV1XXXXXXX will not do the job. On the MPV2XXX they relocated the lift ram, installed a new cylinder, changed lots of things trying to get the unit to function as advertised, the refurbished units have a number of band aids to try to make them stack,etc. Strange how they totally relocated the lift ram mounting points on the MPV2XXXX while the "refurbished" units have a totally different mount point and it's a band aid bolt on that requires one of two different band aids depending on your truck. Don't throw the other set away in case you change trucks:dizzy:

Snoway shafted a lot of people with last year's Mega Mistakes release, don't join the crowd. make sure you're getting a MPV2XXXXXX and run from the Revo. I am not recommending it to anyone until Snoway proves they've fixed the multiple problems.

Make sure you have good batteries and a high output alternator, these units are amp hogs. Both these units have cost the purchasers money repairing charging systems but the Revo was the major issue.

3. stackmaster

Thanks Basher. Once again, your knowledge has proved invaluable to me, so Thank You. I contacted the dealer and found the serial number was MBV1XXXX.(I'm not sure if there is a difference between MBV and MPV??) He is going to look into the fixes that were sent from the factory but it sounds like this is a Mega V that was left over from last year. :confused:
    I really wanted that down pressure for back dragging. Wondering if I should just go with a Western v with a back drag cutting edge?????

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Only in my mind:laughing::laughing:My bad It is an MBV

5. stackmaster

Ok cool, thought maybe I missed something there. Thanks again.

6. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Run Forest Run! If you were looking at a straight blade, I wouldn't say that, but having been an owner of a mega V I would say that the DP really isn't worth it. I can't really say that DP was anything that special, but my blade didn't work properly all season so the DP might not have been working right. As Basher said, They are AMP hogs, I have $1400 in burned up electrical parts to prove it! If you are getting a Vee, get a Boss, Western, Hiniker, Fisher, actually anyone other than a snoway

7. stackmaster

thanks for the replies. Im thinkin I should just hold off from snoway for now and maybe see how things go this season for them. Will keep my eye on it. Thanks again.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I intend to wait till next year before I buy a new V from Sno-Way too.
    The Co has yet to help some of last years customers with problems with their plows..