1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mega Sacks of Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Broncslefty7, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

if my math is correct each mega sack of salt should be just about a yard of material. so far online all i have been able to find is Icemelt mega sacks for around 400 a piece. do you guys know anyone selling bulk rocksalt in the 2000 pound bags? or if it is even economical for it to be purchased that way?

Thank you

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I found some in Chicago last ('13-'14) winter but they were still 200 bucks a pop plus freight.

IMO if you've got a way to load and store straight bulk there's no sense messing with super sacks.

3. Broncslefty7

i was thinking of putting a hoop house up but it will take up too much parking in front of my retail store. my lot is laid out sort of oddly. 400 to fill a sander is double what bulk would cost.

THank you

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I use super sacks because salt storage is an issue for me. I purchase 25 at a time for about $110/each. It's more than I'd like to spend but I really enjoy the ease of use in terms of loading and storage.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

That wouldn't be as unbearable price wise. Actually it's right in line with what we've paid for salt the last 2 years in bulk. For someone using ~25-50 tons a year with storage issues it would be a sweet setup.

Plus it keeps salt off your skid steer loading which is worth something in it's self unless you rent a machine to load with, or lease your skids for 2-3 years.

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, you nailed it. I love the fact I can lift a sack over my spreader, untie the bottom and watch it flow into the hopper. No spillage whatsoever.

I had big plans to go through a lot more salt than I did this season. I've probably got 10 sacks left over from my original load. It was a horrible year for us.

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Boo-who........No snow...The Vikings Stink.....The Twins Stink...I just don't understand why anyone lives up there.........:gunsfiring:.........:dizzy:

8. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Cause you're not here......:nod::waving::laughing:

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I lived there for one year of my life........Ages 2-3.....Thank God I do not remember a thing...................:drinkup:

10. Broncslefty7

camden where are you buying the sacks for 110? that is pretty much what we are paying per ton. i have plenty of indoor space and a beefy fork lift to load them with.

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I get them from a company called Specialty Turf here in MN.

12. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

You forgot the timberwolves.....

But I don't follow the league as close as I once did.

13. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Just out of curiosity, other than a forklift, how are you loading these into your spreader? A skid steer won't raise high enough.

14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I used a Fiat Allis 545B loader. I'd hook a chain around the loops of the bag and attach it to the bucket. Piece of cake.

15. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, not quite gonna work with a Case SV250. wesport

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They make a cradle for super sacks that you lower the sack into and then pick up like skid. It is much safer to use. Farmers don't use super sacks very often anymore as we've went to Proboxes and they are like a super sack but you they are molded plastic and you can pick them up just like a skid and there is a door on bottom that allows you to close mid stream if needed.

17. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

19. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

I take the spinner chute off my Swenson vbox and use a forklift to hold sacks under the conveyer and fill them. Bought empty sacks for $3 each

20. Broncslefty7

i was thinking of taking the spinner disc off of my blizzard and doing it like that. not too sure if i will get the distance doing it like that though.