1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mega Contractor or Mega V?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by schuitb, Oct 19, 2008.

1. schuitb

schuitb Member

Hello all,
    I'm really interested in upgrading to a wider plow this year and am considering snow way.. I have a Mega blade brochure and want to know what the carrying cap. for the Contractor is with the 20 deg. wings? the V is 2.7 cu. yds. but nothing is printed for the contractor.. Does the V push more snow in its optimal config. than the contractor in its optimal config??

Also how long is the delay for using the controller? and is there a delay in plow movement stopping after I stop my commands?? I understand that there is a learning curve and once learned I will have no problem with it.

Also how long has the mega series been in development?? My dealer has yet to touch a production blade and only recently seen a demo.. He has not installed any yet and I am concerned that if i buy one that my blade will be the training blade to teach everyone how to intall.. Perhaps the install is easier than i think and I shouldn't worry.. The dealer is also a rep. for western and they have a few MVP's on the floor. would the Snow way be easier to install than the western?

Also does the plow come with all 5 wing attachments or do i only get a choice??

Thanks for reading and your input.. I am eager to learn more about snow way's new plows and will check their web page reg. for new info and video's..

Regards,
    Brian
    tymusic

2. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

Hello Brian, I've seen the plow you're referring to and I used to own a Snow-way. I'm not a big fan of those plows because they are lightly built, at least when I owned mine. My Western dealer agrees, try to stay away from anything in its first year, its tempting. I wanted to buy a new Western Wide-Out but was worried about the first year thing too so I stuck with another MVP 9.5' for our GMC 5500.

3. schuitb

schuitb Member

Lighter plows

Hi Aurie,

I was told about the lighter weight plows too but that is why the down pressure is nice for that.. When you need the weight on the cutting edge just push a button and its there.. you don't have that static weight always there hanging on the truck adding to the wear and tear..

The lighter weight is a moot point to me but that is jmo.

4. Greenscape4u.co

Not so much the weight of the plow as its light duty construction, my experience was that it just couldn't stand up to heavy duty commercial use. If your use is mainly back dragging driveway then its a great plow. What truck are you putting it on ?

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Neither plow comes with any wing attachments you buy them as options and you can pick and choose as your needs, desires and wallet allow.

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

your western dealer wants you to buy a WESTERN!!!!!!!!

go with the mega revo deal..... youll be happy with the snow capacity... ask JD dave...

7. Greenscape4u.co

I've owned many plows in the 23 years of this business including Snow-way. It won't stand up to heavy commercial use , if back dragging driveways is your business then no doubt it'll be fine.

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree but to each there own. The new mega blades are very heavy duty.

9. Greenscape4u.co

I just think they are trying too hard to out do the competition. You can only give a plow so many features , you know what I mean ? Time will tell. I still believe the Frink plows I own are the ultimate .

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I agree some times the KISS theory is the way to go but I think snoway definatly has something here. And I agree frink plows are a pretty good plow.

Cheers

11. schuitb

schuitb Member

Most of my accounts are small to mid size commercial.. hardly any driveways. I will be putting the plow on my 03 Ram 2500 HD reg cab. w/plow prep package. Also snow way has a 5 year structural plow warranty compared to 2 and 1 years for the rest.. How long ago did you own your snow way??
    I appreciate your comments.

12. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

If you are looking at the MegaBlade products they carry a 2 year warranty like many other brands on the market.

13. Greenscape4u.co

sounds like a great warranty, mine was about 6 years ago so maybe that was my issue. I've owned Artic, Snow-way, Frink and now Western. I remember an occasion in the middle of the storm, as they always are, losing the lift and having to drive the plow back to the shop on the pavement shooting sparks all the way !! I prefer the chain system now. : )

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That wouldn't be the fault of the plow (they all break at some point) that would be the fault of the dealer not showing you how to "short chain" a cylinder lift plow.

15. Greenscape4u.co

True but I can say in owning my Frinks I have never suffered any downtime ! too bad they aren't made anymore. Around these parts you won't find many Snow-way plows and that speaks volumes.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

One man's opinion.

Search this site and you can find someone with negative comments about any manufacturers products.

I have been using and selling Snoway equipment for many years and they have had excellent track record. My customer's vehicles range from wranglers and Tacomas with 22s to F550/Chevy 4500 with 10 ft blades.

Plow with a direct cylinder lift blade like the Snoway, Boss or Blizzard and you'll never want a chain again. quieter, smoother and superior stacking, the down pressure just makes it better.

again just one man's opinion.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes, that Snoway's Canadian dealer network needs to increase:nod:

18. Greenscape4u.co

LOL .... sounds like a Chevy vs Ford discussion !! no offense Basher but you cant teach an old dog new tricks. Here in Southern Ontario we get some of the worst lake effect around and when all you see on the big trucks (like my C-5500 4X4) are Westerns , Boss and old school Frinks like mine that says plenty. Snow-way has its niche with a great combination of down pressure on a light weight plow (ideal for the small lot contractor) but for the heavy weights in wet snow you need a heavy plow with trip edge. I don't suppose you drive a Ford too ? just ribbing .... Cheers

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

None taken, I wasn't trying to teach the old dog. :D