1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mega Cab or Quad Cab for Family AND Plowing

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by AiRhed, Oct 15, 2009.

1. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

My old truck is getting a bit ragged around the edges nearing the 300,000 mile mark. The seats have got holes in em, the engines getting "wrenches in a bucket" loose, and miscellaneous repair costs per month are running real close to the "new truck payment mark." After the recent $800 repair bill I took the wife and kids to the Dodge dealership near home to test out some new trucks.

We took out an 06 quadcab longbed, dually diesel 4x4. And an 06 Mega cab 4x4 diesel. The wife of course, loved the mega cab for the space and minivan like interior. And I of course, liked the quadcab for it's utility. I just can't see the mega cab being a very good plow rig. The visibility out the rear is about as good as having a topper on a long bed.

Who on here uses their trucks tripple or more duty?(probably everybody) Plowing in the winter, Hauling/working in the summer, and for family trips year round? Which would you choose?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

How about you buy the Mega for the daily driver, parts runner and back up rig, and keep the 99 for plowing only? 300,000 on the clock for a Cummins is nothing. It's just due for its first overhaul, is all.

3. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I think you and I are on the same wavelength

4. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Thats a smart idea... X2 Most likely you wont be able to sell your other rig for much money. You might as well just keep it on the road during the winters and push snow with it and you dont have to worry about, scratching or denting or destroying your new ride. THe mega is cool.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Do your research on BOTH of those trucks before buying. That 1-ton with the diesel will only allow a 7-1/2 foot plow (according to most manufacturer's web-sites), and the same thing for the mega-cab. I've been looking at both of those options for quite awhile. Definitely want a diesel, but according to most manufacturers they won't allow/install it for you.

6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I don't mean to be blunt. But do some research yourself on these trucks and on this site. Lots of guys on here running 1ton to 3/4ton dodge diesels with 9'2" V plows and salters. No installer/servicer has ever turned me away. And my truck is DEFINITELY not listed as an option for V-plows from any manufacturer. When its out of warranty, who gives a flying fluff? Put a county muni blade on it if you want to. As long as you're within the weight rating of your front axle you're golden. I've got a 9'2" VXT on my 99 1ton dually diesel and it's in the clear with DOT.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  7. JustJeff

Quit trying to be a tool and re-read my post. I simply stated that if you want to stay within the plow manufacturer's specs you're very limited as to what you can put on either of those trucks. Obviously I know people do it, and I'm about to do it myself, but some people are more concerned with manufacturer's specs and the weight on the front end of their trucks. Nobody was telling you what or what not to do with your own equipment.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the dually. The mega cab is a HEMI and if you plan on putting another 300,000 on it... Plus the dually is Red;)

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

............ Im dumb

10. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Ok, who's trying to be a tool? You're saying no installer will mount a plow on a truck that isn't suggested for use by the manufacturer. Well, I own a truck that isn't suggested by a manufacturer yet, I still have a factory installed v plow on it. No matter which way I read the post, in my experience and in my state, you're wrong about what is actually practiced by plow dealerships/installers.

Like I said, As long as you're within the weight rating of your front axle you're golden. I am concerned with the weight on the front of my truck. Not so much with the manufacturers rating, but with the DOT who regulates my business and allowable weights. I'm within 200lbs of whats legal, I care enough to check. Have you?

11. JustJeff

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you. If your dealer will install a 15' plow on your truck, I'm happy for you. But you can't tell me that there aren't at least 20 different posts here with people saying how a dealer wouldn't install a plow for them due to the excess weight over the front GWAR. Mine won't either. I'm going to have to get one of the shops wrenches to do it for me in his garage on the weekend, but that's what I'll do, I didn't check anything with the DOT, and don't care to.

12. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

^ not only that, but you see more than a couple of people upset about the frequency with which their truck needs front end work.

:nod:

13. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

The pissing match started with you calling me a tool bub. I didn't start a darn thing.

Regardless, you got me thinkin again, and I hate when that happens. So I drove into the local plow dealer/installer, North Central Bus and Truck Equipment after work to check up on my facts. Big business around here, he installs and services Hiniker, BOSS, and SnoWay plows. I asked him if He'd install a boss V-plow on my 06 mega cab diesel. He looked me up the mount and wiring and said you bet. He had two mounts in stock. So I said, yea, but will you warranty that 9'2" V-plow on my 06 mega cab diesel? He did some more typin said sure, he's got a few guys running them.:confused: He even called BOSS to check availability on the wiring? Seems like this is a "regional" problem. There's a right and a real way to do everything.

I wouldn't care much of what the dealership/manufacturer thinks should or shouldn't go on your truck. Maybe the dealers by me have a complete disregard for donig things the "RIGHT WAY"

I darn sure wouldn't get yourself in a stink with the DOT. Overweight fines could cause you to loose a push or two worth of cash. Depending on your gross weight you might need a DOT number to plow legally. But thats another day another thread. Good luck with your truck. It's the mega cab with a 9'2" dealer installed V-plow for me.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  14. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Sure, but that's why we've got the aftermarket. You can build your truck to do just about anything you want it to do with the right parts and the right people.

15. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

thats true, but if you put a 4500 front end on it - whts the piont of asking about the 2500?

16. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

2500?? No no no, 3500 diesel 4x4, truck pictured is just the truck we had test driven yesterday. It had the 5.7L hemi and was getting a whopping 9mpg. The 3500 mega I tried is that sandalwood gold color and is down in the cities. So you are right on that jomofo. I'll tell ya, Even my 1ton needed timbrens, 1" lift springs, HD Balljoints, HD Trackbar, and HD tierod ends. Next is new control arm bushings.

17. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

^ for sure - Not sure what the exact #'s are, but the fe on the 3500 doesn't carry a plow and ctd very much better than the 3/4 ton. The inabilty to warrenty a 1 ton ctd quad 8' with a 9' plow was what got me into the truck I'm in. Not ever towing anything, I really like the way this plows. Might get the 4.10 if I had to do it again, but I don't think the cummins would be doing anything for my needs.

18. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

4850# front axle on the 1ton not sure on the 3/4 never owned one myself. Thank the lord for companies like dynatrac. $5800 bolt in sleep well at night axle for when mine finally gives up the ghost. No more of them useless unit bearings either, real hubs with disconnects.

19. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I think the mega in the pic is a gasser so no way.... Personally a white 06 Mega 4x4 5.9 cummins dually!!!! Most important leather...... the cloth interior is way to hard to keep clean!! Even rain drops will mark it up.

For pushing snow keep the old truck and put a nice v plow on the mega as a back up!!

20. JustJeff

So wait a second, are you sold on gassers? Is that your point? I agree on the leather interior, but to me that's something I can live with or without,, that's just a convenience. would I like to have it, of course, but if the price is right, I'd pass it up