1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mega Blade Lifting

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Lynden-Jeff, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hey,

Wanted to start a thread for some feedback on this. Myself and 2 other southern Ontario plowers have had issues with our lift speed and strength. I ended up having a bad power pack and it was replaced, in which speeds improved. I was out the other night and within a few passes started to slow down on the lift. By the end of the second lot my truck was almost dead. Even with the last power pack I did not have any power issues. I have ordered a new alternator however have heard from one of the other guys. even with his 260 amp alt that the plow is still quiet slow and weak on the upstroke. Anyone else having these issues?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. SGC08

SGC08 Member

I didn't notice a problem with mine but I haven't had the chance to actually use it yet. I'm going to hook it up again today to see how level it sits when I have the spreader in the back for balast and I'll let you know.

Do all of the other hydraulics move fast?

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that was an interesting video

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

it made my head hurt tho.....:p

6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

The guy in the vid has a 250 amp alternator, so thats more than enough to charge the battery. My guess is the pump ain't big enough for strength? But the new Snoways sure look stylish tho!

7. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

All 1st Gen Blades have there Faults. I'm sure they will be fixed for the 2nd Gen plows

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  8. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

omg seriously you couldnt hold it straight?

9. Lynden-Jeff

That doesn't help the people whos shelled out $9000 for the first gens, and we havent even had a full plow. I fully understand that first gens have their problems, but they should not be enough to put all of my accounts in jeopardy. Snoway has been good looking in to fixes, but I think they need to come up with a permenant one, I.E a new pump or new lift cyclinder. This may be more of a Revolution problem vs the straight blades. Heres another vid of how mine wont lift with a pile of snow infront.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2E3U9Hb_uY

Lift crapping out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9V2VbD2f4

And a vid of how awsome they can be, they just need to lift!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwPtORLGu8

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. Triple L

from Canada

Negative... on my phone everything showed up straight, just once i downloaded it to my computer that everything went all sideways...

11. Triple L

from Canada

And how about this pic...

1st week the jack decided to screw off, There are hills where i come from, guess they never thougth of that either.... I sure hope this gets redesigned and they have one coming to me ASAP

Picture 266.jpg

Picture 268.jpg

12. Triple L

from Canada

Man i never thougth my plow was that bad, but luckily Jeff's been bugging me all the time, After I sat on the plow and realized that it couldnt even lift me... and how my Arctic had no problem at all, thats rediculus! I just always thought the snow was so wet and heavy that thats why it was having trouble, which is understandable, but not this....Now im ticked

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you paid 9k for that plow are they gonna refund you ?

14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I don't know much about the plow but I do know that My f350's both had had to replace the alternators right about 50k when it died on each. And they both gave out plowing. Hope you get it worked out soon.

15. Lynden-Jeff

Im sure snoway will come through, they are very helpful, and Tom has been aswell.

Cheers

16. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

WOW!! I'm a bit worried that I put this much faith in sno-way....all my blades are installed now, tomarrow I will be going over them with a fine tooth comb.

Good luck guy's!

17. Lynden-Jeff

The contractors should be ok as they are a fair bit lighter, and probably the V aswell. Give me a buzz tomorow.

Cheers
    Jeff

18. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

From what I have seen the side wings move quick but the up and down has limited power. Perhaps SW engineers have too much GPM and not enough PSI to lift the blade. The GPM will move the blade super fast with little resistance but super slow under extreme loads.

Personally the plow companies need to get away from all the electricial motors and start designing stand alone gas ones. One can only develope so much power with 12v system. This will open the doors to faster and more powerfull equipment.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'll stick to my electric ones thanks. All I need is another motor to run something. JMO

20. Lynden-Jeff

Yea I woulden't even run a gas salter, let alone plow. I may run a central hydraulics unit even if its gas that run the salter then the plow possibly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.