1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Medium Commercial Lot. Any Thoughts Welcome

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by agurdo17, Nov 12, 2011.

1. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

Hi Fellas.

I know i don't have many posts but i have been on this site for over 2 years. Been in plowing for 5 and working with someone who has been doing it for 20.

That said here is a picture of our most recent lot that we are bidding.

20,000 sqft of sidewalks and 85,000 sqft of parking lot.

red is the sidewalks and yellow is the parking lots we have to take care of.

4ft sidewalks everywhere except on the front which are a little more than 7

we run a zero tolerance and we also salt heavy as we do not want insurance issues.

keep in mind we are trying to make money here and not just put a bunch of unnecessary equipment on the lot.

right now we have 3 trucks. two of which have full routes and the third was a backup/blower and shoveler truck.

Ideally I was thinking put a blower on the tractor for the walks. Smaller tractor. around 40hp.

1 piece of equipment not sure what size with a 8ft to 10ft push box.
    Can get a backhoe for 1800 a month but i don't really want something that big.
    1 truck with a 9.6v or a wide-out to push snow.

I know my prices and insurance and all that. just wondering opinions on how to most efficiently tackle this property. Like what equiptment and also how long it might take with that stated equiptment. everything based on a 2 inch drop. i know the math for more.

average 30 drops a year. usualy 2-4 in drops. probably 5 6-8 inch drops and 2 12+drops

ideally i was thinking renting a

job.jpg

2. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Wow..Thats a lot of sidewalk. Is that city sidewalk?

3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

if it was me. I would get s skid steer to do both the walks and lot, get a 9-10 foot plow or a pusher for the lot, and just the bucket for the walks, only disavantage would be some lawn damage by the walks from the bucket if the bucket is wider than the walks are

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Ditto on the Bobcat for the lot and sidewalks. A sweeper attachement would come in handy for the walks and not do as much lawn damage. Get a big 2 speed Bobcat with a pusher and you will be amazed at the production.

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Also have a plow with wings for the Bobcat for the 2 speed plowing part. In heavy snows use the pusher in regular speed mode.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

The small tractor with a blade and a single truck would do the trick. Bobcat would be awesome too, but for the price of renting one for the season, you could pay for half of another decent vehicle.

Some other shots for perspective. Medical facilities are nothing to mess with. Keep those entrances slip free.

job2.JPG

job3.jpg

7. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

Thanks Guys

Plan on a truck being there for 2 hours ish. 9.5v or 9.2 straight blade. If we get big snow the shoveler truck which we would have to buy as our fourth truck. would have to come help.

No worries on the medical building part as we are a zero tolerance plow company and will have a wet walk policy on the walks.

Funny you found the pictures and posted them after i scribbled everything out. Some of those entrances that are shown in the pictures you posted are not being used.

Probably going to use the bucket on a new Holland 1620 for the walks as we already own it. concern there is the bucket is perfect for the front as the walks are 7 ft wide but the rest of it they are 4 ft. we don't want to have to replace grass all around the building as the bucket will be to wide. Had thoughts of buying a walk behind 48 inc blower or a 60 inch for the back of the tractor. Or renting a ventrac but the last option greatly increases costs.

Biggest concern I am having is trying to figure out how much calcium will be used on the walks. Or if should use rock salt.

8. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

UM I dont think they would appreciate regular rock salt on the walks. Maybe you are kidding on that?

9. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

obviously all the main entrances and walks need c. chloride. using it on the perimeter walks seems crazy expensive.

10. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I would strongly suggest looking into a broom for the side walks for the New Holland.
    1.) Get the side walks down to bare concrete. Don't put down as much salt = save you money.
    2.) Do less damage to the grass. Fix less at end of season = save you money.
    3.) Do less damage to the walks. No scrape or scuff marks.
    4.) Don't need to empty the bucket and stack. Just angle the broom and go = save time = save money.
    5.) Use the broom at the end of the season to clean up the parking lots (if you provide that service).

Then you can still use the bucket for any big heavy events where the broom just isn't practical. I don't think brooms are used enough to be honest. I think it would work well for you, but that's just me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  11. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

thanks dave. any idea how much snow a sweeper will move.

12. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

That's like asking how much snow weighs or how much salt you'll need for the month of February.

The brooms are nice, however. A powered broom on that New Holland would be your best (but most expensive) option. Can't put a price on performance.

[​IMG]

13. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

lol how. We have never used sweepers for parking lots or sidewalks and have never owned one for that matter.

Im asking if it will clean 1-5 inches of snow sufficiently.

14. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I've never ran a broom on a skid steer so I can't tell you exactly how much it will clear. The local city runs them on tool cats and I haven't seen them have a problem. Maybe someone else can chime in with better info than I can provide you.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  15. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

A sweeper is the preferred method of removal here in Calgary. Be it a walk behind or a Bobcat mounted one, they do a incredible job and are extremely fast. Yes they can handle up to 6" of snow for the Bobcat or Toolcat mounted units, only the largest of the walk behinds this would work for. After that, line up 3 or 4 single stage Toro blowers to take care of the sidewalks. If the snow is wet and heavy then you still have the blowers and the Bobcat + bucket to fall back on. Light snow up to 2-3" inches, a big blowpack does wonders. I have seen guys out here using large walk behind blowers to handle larger amounts of snow but I did not have a chance to stick around and see the results.