1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mechanical Snow&Ice Removal?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SnoDuck, Jan 28, 2012.

1. SnoDuck

SnoDuck Junior Member

With the lack of snow this season, I've had some time to think about ways to reduce costs and had some ideas I'd like to bounce off everyone...

1. What is everyone's opinion of the use of brooms? I've seen coments from memebers where they thought the use of brooms only created slush and was more trouble than they are worth. I'm looking to reduce the use of salt. It isn't getting any cheaper, storing it can be a pain and finding a place to store it on site can be difficult at best. I'm considering using a broom on a skidsteer or possibly on a compact tractor. I'm thinking it is doable, but I'm sure there is a drawback in here somewhere..

2. There are some videos on youtube where they use a spiked roller of sorts to remove compacted snow/frozen slush. It looks like it works great on hard pack/ice, but what is the drawback on using this on concrete? Asphalt?

I don't think I would go completely without salt, but I think I might be able to cut back enough to offset the cost of the new equipment. I could use the broom in the spring/fall for leaf clean up as well.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks !

:cool:

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

As far as brooms go most airports will use brooms on anything up to 3" of snow...So I would have to say they work well and have been proven over time...
    Not sure on what you are talking about for removing pack but you'd have to be careful it didn't gouge or score the material beneeth...
    I used to have ripper teeth on my belly blade for taking up pack, that being said you could do allot of damage if not careful...

3. SnoDuck

SnoDuck Junior Member

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

The use of brooms for us has significantly cut down on the use of ice melt/salt. There are some instances where the brooms don't excel as much (mainly heavy snow and ice events.) For smaller storms we don't even need to plow or snowblow. Most of the time the brooms get the surfaces cleaned perfectly. We run them over all surfaces before ice melting, and it cut back on the amount of ice melt needed dramatically.

We run these brooms on our skidsteers and toolcat.
    http://www.quickattach.com/shop-by-department/attachment/snow-equipment/products/quick-sweep/84-hydraulic-w/-poly-wafer-package-power-angle-broom/

5. wewille

wewille Senior Member

6. SnoDuck

SnoDuck Junior Member

What about using a tow-broom on the larger lots..? Was thinking a five yard truck with a plow pulling a broom... Which brings me to another question, what about municipal use..? Could see something like an Oshkosh Snow Tractor with a plow, pulling a broom doing the highway/main roads.. Thoughts..?

7. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Lake Placid uses a bunch of tractors and a toolcat with brooms for the sidewalks in town. Works great on uneven surfaces and pavers. I don't know how it would work for heavier accumulation as they never let too much accumulate before sweeping. I think one problem seems to be directing the snow/slush/water off the broom, they've blasted my truck parked on the street a couple of times!

8. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

We use brooms on a Bobcat S70, Bobcat 463 & Kubota B7500.... All are front mounted, all have hydraulic angle.... Use on up to 4" of snow or slushy accumulation... Works great!!!! Has cut our deicer use on sidewalks by over 50%, the clients like it because there is less slop tracking in the buildings... I like it cause it cleans down to the sidewalk....We have Bauman Drop Spreaders mounted on the rear of the units and apply salt, calcium chloride or P49 depending on customers request at the same time.... tymusic

9. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I run 2 skidsteers with box blades and this idea seems interesting. I'd like to see a broom attachment in action. Anyone have pics?

10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

All fine in theory and I know they do work great but it takes a certain amount of energy and product to do the job each time no matter what. Don't you think you are just spreading the job around to something else? Is money really saved with the increased labor, fuel, machine, and wear and tear on another piece of equipment? I get paid to spread salt each time on most accounts, I don't think I'd want to buy another machine to do the job salt is for, seeing as I get paid for that?

11. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Sounds far fetched and silly to me :confused:

12. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a broom hater. They have their application and they do an awesome job at it.

13. SnoDuck

SnoDuck Junior Member

I understand. I've seen many a video of various airports clearing the runways with a plow/broom/blower set up. I was thinking something similar on the main roads would be of interest to various DOT authorities. As for commercial lots and the like, I'm considering a compact tractor with a plow on the front and broom on the 3pt. This way I can clear the "heavy" stuff with the plow and whatever is left over with the broom. Plus, I can do both in one pass! I think this would work well up and around entrances etc. But after some distance out from the building, I think it would be less effective/efficient. While I do agree, a tractor pushing snow and turning a broom is going to burn through more fuel, wear on the broom,etc, I'm trying to see the bigger picture. I would not have to handle large quantities of salt, the customers will be happier with less salt being dragged into the buildings, I can use the broom and tractor year around, etc. I'm trying to figure out if I would be further ahead or not? Plus, I was thinking about residential accounts, contractors I know that do residential accounts don't plow/shovel until there is 2" or more... With a broom, I could be out after every snowfall, not just 2 or more...

14. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I love the chunks of asphalt ripped up in the first vid. Gee, I wonder why they never caught on... :dizzy: We never ever let that kind of ice accumulate, and it's about once a decade we get an ice storm that puts down any accumulation of ice, so something like those ice breakers would probably never pay for themselves.

15. SnoDuck

SnoDuck Junior Member

It was with out a doubt a mis-application. It is actually an aerator for lawns... Would not be my first choice. BUT, the spiked roller in the second video was interesting... Granted, we don't get too many ice storms as well, but it would be great for when you have a new customer call asking to clean up someone else's mess... Under promise and over deliver I always say... :nod:

16. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

If it is dry fluffy snow then a brrom will work fine to a certain extent. But as far as wet snow...problably wont work well if at all

17. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member