1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mechanic couldnt help....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chcav1218, Mar 13, 2009.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Ok so I took my truck into the shop because I've been getting some funky vibrations and thumps and such in teh truck on occasion. I figured it was a bearing, ball joint, or a u joint. I checked those things and everything looked ok, so I figured i've have the mechanic take a look, and now he says he cant find anythng. Its usually at high speeds, and I can even feel it in the wheel sometimes. Its even stronger when I have the plow on, but still comes and goes. What do you guys think?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Warped rotor? Driveshaft balance is off?
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Intermediate steering shaft (I shaft). That's your problem.
  4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

ill ask him about those things when i go pick up the truck
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Just a thought but check to make sure the spare tire is tight.
  6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

It's REALLY common and does what you describe.
  7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

ill check the tire but i doubt thats it. yeh i was just doing some reading about those I shaft. It seems like it might be worth looking into
  8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

The first thing I do is take that spare tire off a new truck!
  9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

with my luck i'd get a flat the first week out
  10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Ummmm, You wouldn't have the inside scoop by any chance :rolleyes:
  11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

The I shaft was a big problem on the early 2000 trucks and suvs. My 04 Yukon needs it done. It isn't bad, usually when turning and hit a bump, so I haven't bothered with it yet. For the longest time dealers were just putting more grease in. They finally came out with an updated shaft to replace it.
  12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

body mounts....they had an issue there to....:dizzy:
  13. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

If you had a newer truck, I'd suggest checking the computer (PCM) for upgrades. Trucks newer than 2006 have an electronic tie-in between the brakes and steering that can cause all sorts of weird problems, and most techs out there haven't a clue about that. I've already seen where pushing the brakes can make the steering lock up. In fact, I watched one of the shops I was calling on completely rebuild the steering, suspension, and brakes on an 06 model, and the problem was still there. They took it to the dealer, flashed the PCM and the problem went away.

On your model, I'd check bushings, especially on the a-arms, ball joints, u-joints, etc. It could also be bad axle or pinion bearings. It wouldn't hurt to pull the diff cover and change oils. I prefer Amsoil synthetic, especially for cold weather and heavy duty use. Lots of bad gear sets on those trucks.
  14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

They make several updated steering shafts to fix the clunk felt in the steering wheel.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I've had 3 shafts put in the 06' and 1 in the 07'. The 06' only really needed 2 shafts because the third time it ended up being the column bearing, have your mechanic check the TSB's there are a few for clunks.
  16. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I had the steering shaft replaced last year. $110 an done. I could feel a wiggle and hear a rattle when I drove or hit bumps. All better now. But my buddy had a a noise up front and thought it was the hubs. they replaced them and it took care of the vibration but there was still a noise and it was a warped front rotor. Like everyone else said it probably one of those two things. good luck.
  18. Russ's Repair

Russ's Repair Junior Member
    from 02562

just a thought but it could also be a slipped belt in a tire
  19. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Did you check the idler and pitman?