1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD75 Wiring question

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Bunky1, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Well today I bought a DOGG. With this BIG nor easter coming this weekend I decided that we needed another plow. So I bought the DOGG but with time running out I had to install myself. Picked up the wiring for the truck side and I am having the Truck side carriage mount overnighted so I can get this thing on the road by Friday. Anyway....tonight I put in the truck side harness and ran into a small snag. According to the instructions (this is why real men don't read instructions) it calls for connecting the red/wht wire with a male spade connector from the harness to the orange wire from the light relays and it has a female spade connector. Well the red/wht wire (s) are the ones that come from the connector for the hand held and not in the middle of the harness (as the instructions state) and it has a female spade connector. No mention of the red wire from the light relay with the ring connector or the black wire with the ring connector. ANYWAY I believe that the red/wht wire connects to the red wire with the fuse holder on the female spade end that has a male tag spade. This will connect into the light toggle switch. Then the orange wire would connect into the toggle switch on the other connection. The red bare wire for the fuse holder would go to Battery + with the key in the ON position. The red wire from the light relay would go directly to Battery (+). and the black wire from the light relay goes to chassis ground. So if anyone knows if this is correct then please let me know. Also does this thing power up with the key in the ON position or does it always have power. If it always has power then what keeps it from draining the battery when the truck is not running. Thanks Ed:dizzy:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Ed,
    The red wire that powers the controler should be hooked to a fuse or ignition wire thats only hot when the key is on. As for the lighting wiring, what kind of vehicle do you have, and do you want the lights controlled by a switch mounted on the dash or do you want them to go on when you plug the plow in? Let me know and I can tell you how to wire it.

3. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Sorry - it sounds like you got mismatched instructions/harnesses.

If your relay module (the black plastic thing) has a seperate RED, ORANGE, and BLACK WIRE, then disregard those instructions. Here's the link to the correct instructions.

http://www.snowdoggplows.com/ServiceManuals/16992100_b.pdf

In short, assuming its a positive switched vehicle the RED goes to any fuse. The Orange MUST go to switched power (switched with ignition) - and black goes to ground.

4. micklock

micklock Senior Member

When I installed mine my jeep came with two accessory wires behind the glovebox, one was switched and was was not. I tried both (for the controller power feed) and I like the none switched wire better, if I forget to turn off the controler when I shut my jeep off the controller will turn off by itself after awhile.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Yep that is what happened. Now everthing is all good. Looks like we are going to be getting about 24 inches Friday thru Saturday. I'll let you all know how it faired. Thanks for all the responces. Ed