1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD75 to VMD75

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Mike57, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Mike57

Mike57 Member

I'm thinking of getting VMD75. I have a 2008 silverado 1500 crew cab. I know the truck will need some sort of mods to the front end in order to handle the extra weight of the plow. What is the retail price of the VMD75? Can the existing MD mount and controller be used or is it necessary to replace those?

Also I'd like input to anyone who has used the VMD. I'm particularly interested in the plow's ability to scoop and I prefer the trip edge.

2. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

lol i was thinking of one but was quoted $4900!!! I laughed and walked out

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You guys should check with ESI (Jim) as to what you can get it for. I bought my VX95 last year, cash and carry locally (I had to assemble which was easy as can be) for $4300. Prices seem to have gone up about $300 this year for the same plow.

I can't imagine the VMD being much more than $4000. And honestly, assembly it was as simple as flipping the headgear up and bolting it, then bolting on the lights. The hoses and all hydraulics were all hooked up and filled from the factory.

4. nick_snonomo

nick_snonomo Junior Member

The VMD 7.5 works on an Snowdogg MD Mount, so you wouldn't have to replace that. As far as the controller, I'm not sure what the MD controller looks like, but the VMD has the scoop/vee buttons on the right and left.

I bought mine this past December from a welding shop, and had an 8' Western Unimount that I traded. He was originally asking $4200 installed, and I talked him down to $3,800, minus the trade in value of my Western. Expensive, especially for me, but I feel it was worth it.

I installed mine on my 1999 Ford F-150 Lariat. I had to install Timbrens, and although that plow is rated for some half-tons it is definately heavy! My truck handles it very well with 600 +/- pounds of counterweight behind the rear wheels. Before I had that weight in the back, it was pretty tricky getting those rear wheels to grip.

All in all, I've had no issues with mine. I really like the ease of hook up/unhook, but I am also coming from a Unimount which was very tedious. Scoop and Vee modes work great. It is only a 7'6" plow, so when scooping your width isn't as wide as most would probably like, so I usually don't scoop full, but rather angle the wings forward about half way, and I feel it carrys more snow that way. The trip edge is also nice, I had to adjust the tension of mine a little bit because it was a little loose, and would skip right away...but adjusting the nuts was simple enough.

Hope this info helps...like I said I really like mine, it's my 1st V plow, best of luck with your decision.

5. caseihmx290

caseihmx290 Junior Member

Mike57 I'm getting on for my truck from a dealer that puts them on the state trucks in september. The best thing to do is to go to snowdogg website and use the plow selector to find the plow that will be the best match for your truck. I have a f-150 and they told me for the year 2014 that it would be 5050 for the plow its self and for them to put it on and out the door ready to plow it would be 5500. That's a brand new blade, but they also said that they cant tell you what the price will be till you actually buy because they base the price of the plow on the price of steel.