1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD75 electrical issue

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Mike57, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Mike57

Mike57 Member

I just had the dealer install an MD75 on an 08 Chevy 1500 silverado crew cab. The plow works well so far, but I think it is melting the snow? The outside air temp eads over 100F when the plow is installed! Is this a unique problem? The dealer just says "they all do that".

2. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

my 09 silverado reads 147 when my md75 plow is on/up and driving. Angle your plow to the left and drop it some this helps.

3. Mike57

Mike57 Member

I will try that. I have had it up and angled to right.

4. Mactonite

Mactonite Junior Member

outside air temp

My 2008 Dakota is the same way. I think that the outside temp sensor is located up in the front end of the truck and the plow blade is deflecting most of the cold air so it's reading is being greatly affected by the engine. Just my .02 P.S. Are you talking about your actual engine temp gauge or your outside air temp gauge???

5. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

The plow decreases airflow to the grille. This affects your sensor temp, it's reading the under hood temp now. Happens with any plow not a electrical issue by any means.

6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

it will tell you the air flow up there adjust plow height and tilt until it stadies or goes down
    get used to it
    i wanna know why my guage reads temps in the 160s who wants to know it is that hot out
    i hope it is never that hot out.
    where does this truck wanna go to the sun

7. frozenokiewi

frozenokiewi Junior Member

125 is my average

2001 Suburban, 2003 Silverado both do the same thing since the day I installed the plows.
    There is a youtube video on the chevrolet 1999 and up in a wind tunnel with the whole fog machine thing. The plow creates a huge vacuum or low pressure of air right in front of the grill the only way I fixed it on my Silverado was a HD fan clutch which howles like crazy and kills my MPG. The Suburban has a dual electric fan setup from Flexalite but at 25 amps I now run a Deep cycle yellow top 900 CCA battery and a 200 amp alternator on that truck, it might sound like overkill but I drive the truck with plow on every weekend to our cabin 90 miles away. The burban has every electrical gadget known to man from the factory so I opted for the HD battery and the suped up alternator. Works great no more overheating issues on the temp guage but the outside temp can hit 125 from time to time....till the fans come on.

I have seen the trans temp and engine temp jump from time to time but both fan modificatons have solved all my issues. The HD clutch runs about $90.00 from federated parts and the electric setup will run you about 200.00 for the battery, 200.00 for the alternator and 500.00 for the fans. Plow off my Suburban with the electric fan and a 5.3 cracks 21 MPG it has 267,000 miles and runs like a top. Silverado with 5.3 and the HD belt driven fan clutch dropped 2mpg and the thing is very loud ALL the time.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010