1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD68 won't turn left or right

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by bayshoreinc, Nov 29, 2011.

1. bayshoreinc

bayshoreinc Junior Member

First time plow owner here. Purchased a used MD68 (was only used 3 times) for my Jeep Wrangler. Got the mount installed and wiring harness all installed. Testing out the plow, it does raise and lower just fine and will float no problem. However, it will not turn left or right. The plow is straight, but when I press the left or right button, I can hear the pump but it sounds like it wants to turn but just doesn't mover. Sounds like its fully turned and you want to turn it farther. Sounds the same as when I raise the plow and hit the button to try and raise it farther. Following me here as to what I mean? So it won't turn left or right at all.

Any idea where I start to figure out how to get this thing working?? Just got 5 inches of snow tonight.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

3. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Also depends how long it has been sitting, the angle cylinder seals sometimes get tight, shoot some penetrating oil on them and let them soak in. Assuming your fluid level is fine and you're getting pressure to the cylinders. Sometimes guys pull out the valves and clean them if needed.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it is stuck cylinders (common with Snowdawgs) you can free them easily by pushing one end of the plow against something while angling the blade in that direction. It should only take a little nudge don't go power crazy. If that doesn't free it look further.

5. bayshoreinc

I'll try the penetrating oil, then apply some pressure to it. If this don't work, I'll tackle cleaning the valve. Anything I need to look for when pulling the valve out? Is it under pressure? Will I lose fluid? Suggestions on how to do this is welcome. Hydraulics is probably one of the few things I haven't worked on in my live.

I appreciate all the help guys!!

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I doubt it is a dirty valve if it will not turn either way. Don't use penetrate oil use a little snowplow oil some penetrates can be a little rough on the seals and wipers. They can actually cause swelling that increases the problems.

7. bayshoreinc

So I pulled the right cylinder off and drained the oil. I could not compress the cylinder, so I started tapping it with a 5lb sledge hammer to break it loose. Finally it broke free. I compressed the cylinder the full stroke, refilled with oil and put it back on. Took the left cylinder off. Then tried to see if the right cylinder would extend and it worked just fine.

The left cylinder was nearly fully compressed when I took it off. I could only compress the cylinder maybe another inch. So it was frozen fully compressed. So here's how I got it to extend. I put a chain around a tree and attached it to one end of the cylinder. Hooked another chain to the other end of the cylinder and connected that to the front tow hook on my pickup. Gave it a few light jerks backwards and wouldn't break loose. Couple more good tugs and got it to extend.

Put the left cylinder back on hoping everything would work just fine. However, that wasn't the case. The plow turned left just fine, but wouldn't turn right. The cylinder was stuck fully compressed. Went thru the same process to re-extend it.

So when I angle the plow fully left, the left cylinder gets stuck and can't turn back to the right. I noticed that some of the chrome plating on the piston is off where it was rusted to the packing. I tried to smooth it out with steel wool and 600 grit sand paper, lubed it all up and still gets stuck when I angle fully left.

HELP!

So, you think its getting hung up on that spot? Could it be caused by air in the line? Should I replace this cylinder seeing the chrome plating has come off? I'll try and get a picture and post it.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If the plow is under warranty take it to the dealer (as you probably should have done in the beginning) if it's not under warranty replace the cylinder. It will only repeat this performance when you can least afford it.

9. bayshoreinc

Evidently the warranty is only to the original owner and I don't know what year the plow is. It was only used 2 or 3 times before I bought it a week ago. Basically looks brand new.

10. bayshoreinc

can't delete this.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  11. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

As Basher said, replace the cylinder. You can also call SnowDogg and let them know what you're experiencing, they know they have issues with the cylinders maybe they will extend you a olive branch and send you a replacement at no charge. You can also, try to get a hold of Smoorman on plow site, he is our direct SnowDogg tech here and very very helpful.

12. bayshoreinc

UPDATE:
    Connected the plow today and thought I would try angling fully left to see if it still gets stuck. IT WORKS !!!! :mechanic:

Don't know if there may have been air in the line or if all the penetrating oil helped free it up, but she's working now. I will still replace the cylinder at some point but not right now.

13. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Glad it works, you don't have to replace the cylinder right away, just get one and keep it with you just in case. Left and right side are interchangeable. That way you always have a backup.

14. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

Those problems that mysterious correct themselves scare the crap out of me! I would take ChiTahoes advise and get a new cylinder. Personally, I would replace it and keep the questionable one as the back-up. You know it will go out when you are furthest from home and it is the coldest night of the year!

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They never correct themselves, they just hide.