1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD68 on 2011 Frontier

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by hilojack, Jan 2, 2012.

1. hilojack

hilojack Junior Member
    from RI

Here are some pics of my truck after install. There is a little drop when plow is raised but with a little ballast it levels out nicely. I have a set of timbrens but am not sure I am going to install them. I no longer plow commercially just friends and family and plow never sits on truck unless a storm is expected. I put the plow on in October and am still waiting for some snow to test it out. I can’t wait.
    Install was not that difficult but don’t follow the instructions about removing the bumper. It is not necessary and doesn’t make install any easier. Plow is not the easiest system to mount/unmount but once you get used to it, it works fairly well. Plow seems pretty tough as I accidently got the ball hitch on my truck stuck on one of the hydraulic lines and I dragged the plow about 8 feet before I realized what was going on. No leaks in the line and all connections/fittings were undamaged. I was impressed with the plow and pi##ed at myself.

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

2. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Nice truck and install! Love my MD68. Remounted mine last night. Finally getting snow sticking to our drive today.

3. metrail

metrail Junior Member

Hey HiloJack,

Looks great... I thinking about getting the SnowDogg MD68 or 75 myself. Would you happen to if I really need the 75. I head read on a thread from I think a dealer that was trying to sell the "snowaway" plow that blade should always be wider then the track width "tire outer edge to tire outer edge", which certainly makes sense. So I might opt for the SnowDogg 75 which has a 90 inch / 79 inch angled width blade vs the SnowDogg MD68 which only has 80 inch and 71 angled-- my track width is right about 78 inches, so angled might be an issue with not having enough snow plowed out for the tires to have traction rather than pack unplowed snow and loose traction. I never had given that too much thought in the past as I was using an old fisher 8 footer. Usually, I do a straight sweep up our 1,000 foot dirt road and than go down both sides angled-- but there are times that option does not exist if you know what I mean.

Had you heard this before?

Thanks ~ Kevin

CORRECTION: Researched Nissan Frontier track width (outer tire edge to outer tire edge)-- right about 72.3 inches-- the SnowDogg MD68 has an angled width of 71 inches... with careful angling the MD68 could be a viable option. PLEASE-- if anyone has additional information regarding track width (outer tire edge to outer tire edge) vs blade width and angle width-- PLEASE ADVISE ~ Kevin

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the 75 - the few inches difference isn't going to hurt the truck, will make clearing "that much" faster, and you won't have to worry about driving over your snow banks (windrows) when angling.

5. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

Looks good hilojack. I share your eagerness to try it out. I've had a brand new VMD75 sitting in the garage for a month and it has yet to see a snow flake. All the predictions around here this fall were for a terrible winter and we still haven't had any snow. My friends and family have thanked me for buying the plow and making it a mild winter.

6. hilojack

hilojack Junior Member
    from RI

metrail
    I don't do any commercial plowing any more but I used to do a lot of smaller lots with a 2000 Tacoma with a 6'-6' (78 Inch) blade. I never had any issues with the plow being angled and not covering the width of the truck. Once you get that first pass you are never really running over unplowed snow with the tires. I would never really angle the plow all the way, usually only 75% or so. That way I would cover as much area as possible and the angle was still enough to keep the snow moving to the side I wanted. I also loved the smaller blade for those jerks that would never move their cars when you were trying to plow the lot. Why they don't all park in the same area and then move to an area you have already cleared so you can finish is a mystery to me. No matter how many times you tell them they all park 1 or 2 spaces away from each other so you have to clear the spaces between them. The smaller blade is great for that. I completely buried the worst offenders but they still never figured it out.

I picked the MD68 for my Nissan because of a few reasons. #1 The minimum ballast requirements for the 75 are 370lbs while the 68 is only 170lbs. #2 I currently am only doing driveways for friends and family and an 80 inch plow is easier to maneuver in tight driveways. #3 I park my truck in my garage even when the plow is on and an 80 inch plow is a lot easier to back in thru an 8 foot door. LOL 8 inches on each side rather than 3 with the 90 inch blade.

I still haven't had any snow here so I can't tell you how my setup is working but I did love my Toyota setup with the 6'-6" plow and I never had an issue with "running over" snow. I agree that the blade should always be wider than the “track width” but an inch or 2 at full angle won’t be a problem for what you described as your situation. Actually you are 1.3 inches short total. That comes out to less than 3/4 inch on each side as the plow is centered on the truck.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. metrail

metrail Junior Member

hilojack--

Thanks for the reply, makes good sense. Where did you find the minimum ballast requirements-- is that in the operators manual? Kevin

8. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Its on the SnowDogg website (Snow Plow Selector, on the left side); need to look at each size plow after choosing your vehicle specifics. Wasn't there last year, if I recall, but there now. Nice to know at selection.

Tom

9. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Looks nice and for your applications it will serve you well, recently we installed one on a Pathfinder.
    [​IMG]

10. metrail

metrail Junior Member

ChiTahoe~

Looks sharp! Is that the MD68 or 75? Does it have a timbren kit installed front or back, both?

Thanks for the image-- hopefully I will be able to upload a Frontier SE Crew 4X4 with a MD75 next week!

~~~Metrail

11. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Metrail,

Thanks, it does look nice on it. It is a MD 68, no timbren kit installed or needed. The Pathfinder handled it very well with only about a 1.5 inch drop.

12. metrail

metrail Junior Member

Good Morning ChiTahoe,

Thanks for post back...

Do you think I will need front timbrens for a MD75 on a Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 with proper ballast (750 lbs)? You seem really knowedgable about many installs, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks again for all your support. This has been a really great site for someone who's buying a plow, already plowing, or anything related to plowing-- Thanks everyone for all your help!

~~~Metrail

13. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Hi Metrail,
    If I were you I would be prepared to get them if needed. Install the plow and put the ballast in the back over the rear axle. Go drive it and go up a few inclines and speed bumps and see if anything bottoms out or scrapes. If it does then definitely you'll need them. It's really hard to say. I needed them on my Tahoe, due to short wheel base and the fact I don't run much ballast in the rear (only about 300 lbs). Looking at the picture it appears you have clearance but bounce the plow a few times by pushing down on the front of it and just see how far the truck dips down.

14. metrail

metrail Junior Member

Hi ChiTahoe,

Sounds like a good plan... I'm only doing our own road and driveway, however that would be about 1,000 feet plus of well packed dirt (1 inch minus). I will probably baby-it and work with the storms just to take it easy on the gear. Any recommendation on how high to set the shoes on a good shape dirt road? I'm not sure if you have a lot of dirt roads out your way.

Have a great weekend.

~~~Metrail

15. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Not sure about dirt roads but I do 1000 ft. of gravel road every snow fall. Basically I have my shoes on but they don't do anything, they are the whole way up. I just use them for weight to help break through packed snow.
    I would suggest to put the shoes down even with the cutting edge, then try it. Or raise them all the way up and see the difference and find a happy medium.

16. metrail

metrail Junior Member

Hi ChiTahoe,

How much snow did you get on that storm?

As of yesterday, the SnowDogg MD75 is installed on my 2010 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Crew cab. Did my first plow last evening (about 4 inches) on a 1,000 foot DIRT road with about another 1,000 feet of DIRT driveways-- the plow is doing the job. It's not like the 700+ pound fisher I was using but I didn't expect it to be! One thing I did notice is when turning blade some of my instrument panel lights dim a little bit-- is that normal? My battery is a stock battery, I think 550 Amps and my alternator is the stock 110 amp alternator. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm (no fuses popping), but thought I'd ask.

~~~Metrail

17. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I'm fighting a cold and worked long hours on Friday.
    We got a good 5 inches, I plowed work and at home. Some dimming is normal. How old is the battery?
    Some vehicles will dim more than others. As long as the controller isn't flashing and everything is operating normally I would think you're fine. Just make sure the plugs stay greased well with dielectric grease to help fight off the corrosion.

18. hilojack

hilojack Junior Member
    from RI

Finally got the first storm of the season this weekend. My SnoDogg worked great. I found the handheld controller to be a pain in the butt so I Velcro’d it to the center console right next to the shifter and just used my fingertips to control it. I found it much easier than trying to shift with the controller in my hand or putting it down on the seat every time I had to shift gears. So far I am very happy with my setup I just need more snow to completely test it out.

19. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Glad to hear!!! Great that it worked well for you!