1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD68 lift arm pivot breakage (pictures), questions, assistance

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by afekete, Feb 16, 2014.

1. afekete

afekete Member
    from NJ

After 6 years of plowing with the little plow that could, the lift arm pivot/ A frame just snapped. I do local residential plowing only, full float all the time, but last night during a driveway scraping(less then 2"), the pivot just snapped apart.

My guess is that it had been cracked for some time, but I check everything before each time we go out so I can't believe I missed this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I'm way beyond warranty but I have a few questions:

1. I will need to get this to a dealer for repair/replacement. I don"t believe a weld can mend this or maybe so?

2. Any suggestions on securing the plow during transportation to the closest SnowDogg dealer? As of right now it's hanging by the chain. (about 15 miles)

A call to the dealer will answer a few other things like cost to repair, down time, etc.

Timing is everything and we just got through a +12" east coast storm so I guess I should feel lucky. The little 68 has done very well and I don't want to think that I need to replace the whole plow.:(

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

I would just buy a quadrant and do it myself. Wax large objects, spray smaller objects and hardware with fluid film grease pivot bolt and be done with it.

If I had to transport that, i would throw two heavy duty 1000lb ratchet straps on it, connecting the a-frame to the quadrant. Pull it together as much as not can.

But Thats just what "I" would do on a non public road with no other people on the non public road!

3. afekete

afekete Member
    from NJ

Excuse my ignorance...what is a "quadrant" ?

Anyone else ever encounter a similar event?

4. road2damascus

Quadrant is the steel piece connected to plow. What the a-frame is connected too closest to blade.

5. afekete

afekete Member
    from NJ

Thank you!

According to the SnowwDogg parts list I'll need the "A-Frame Weldment" but I figure we might as well do a full service, check/change any hydraulic lines, replace any worn fastners, and hopefully it will be solid again.

My main issue is that I don't have an inside location to do the work in hence bringing it to the dealer.

6. road2damascus

Me neither. Laying on my back in a driveway seems to become a part time job for me during this busy season.

For you, i would definitely bring it to dealer. Getting 6 years with no problems, its made you some cash. But get a quote first!

7. Brian_Anyzeski

Brian_Anyzeski Junior Member

Exactly the Same Problem, w/ the Same Plow....

My MD68 just severed in the EXACT same locations (top and bottom). Nothing extreme happened to cause mine to break either?! I am guessing that a combination of wear and tear over the last 4 yrs and hitting unknown, solid objects and snow piles at high speeds, probably caused my structural failure. (and a design flaw??)

However, I took mine to a local iron/metalworking shop that builds quality stuff for various steel mills. $100.00 total to weld and reinforce. They welded 1/2" plates on top and bottom conforming to the surface changes by the Kingpin and the other bolt. I am putting the A-Frame back on now.

$391.00 for a new A-Frame and +2 hrs labor @ $85.00/hr at the local Dealer to install it, I decided to try welding it first. I would recommend it.

Mine turned out phenomenal man! It is stronger than before the fractures. I will take a pic and post it here later. Did you buy a new A-Frame already?

Good Luck

Brian Anyzeski
    Owner/Operator

Cleveland, OH [Newbury, OH (Northeast Ohio Snow Belt Region)]

8. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Interested; following. Coming up to year 4 with my MD68.