1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD Plowing / salting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captjack, Oct 24, 2001.

1. captjack

captjack Member

This is my 2nd season in the biz and i was wondering how many guys on here are from the maryland area. It would be nice to chat with some guys in the local market. It looks like we might do more salting then plowing. I was thinking about getting a tailgate speader this year, maybe a weastern, (matches the truck & plow)
    Any thoughts on salting?
    thanks,
    captjack

2. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Captjack,

I'm from North East, Cecil County. Love Annapolis:D My wife and I are there 3-4 times a year for a week+ on the moorings.

The past 2 years I have just carried around a good walk behind spreader. Any of the accounts that I do salt aren't large enough to justify a tailgate spreader yet. Even though I may buy one;) (I love toys!) Takes me no more than 5-10 min with the walkbehind, don't have to mount and unmount it like a tailgate spreader. I just throw it in the back of the truck.

Greg

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

in the area

I'm in the area also. I know exactly what you go through every year. Pray and pray for snow and get none. I bought a used buyers spreader last season for my truck. Made more money with that than I did my plow. It seems that it'll snow 2-3 inches and then melt some time in the day, but then re-freeze over night. I have a couple of state buildings and some walk-in medical centers and they don't play when it comes to ice and snow. If you can buy a new one , its probably worth it. It was in my case. I use solar salt in my buyer. Its cheap and it has melt capabilities. BUT it is extremely harsh on vegitation and cement. Well for the amount of winter events we get around here its not worth it for me to get a v- box and storge tons and tons of salt and sand. I know alot of people may disagree with what I use of what kind of products I use but I can only use what is easy to get.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

hey where in delaware are you brimow??wilmington here, come and join us in chat we are there everynight, and sometimes other times also. to do so go to eric elms webpage elmlawnsite.com.

5. captjack

captjack Member

back to the top

6. mickman

mickman Senior Member

HEY CAPTJACK,
    I'M LOCATED IN FREDERICK, MD. DID YOU INSTALL "THE WEATHER BUG"? LOOKING FORWARD TO BETTER YEAR THIS YEAR, SHOULD GET BACK TO AVERAGE WINTER THIS YEAR...HOPEFULLY!!

7. PrimeGreen

PrimeGreen Junior Member

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I thought I had to jump in when I read some of the olders. I reside in Westminster, MD. I know what you all mean when you say your doing more salting than plowing. Just wanted to say HI!

Scott;)

8. Just thought I'd say "hey" also. I am in West Virginia, but live 2 miles from the MD. border (Allegany County). We get a little more snow than you do in the east, but still nothing like the guys up north. I live 10 miles from Frostburg Md., wanna talk about snow!
    they don't call it "Frost" burg for nothing. I will be 50 degrees here and ten miles away they are having a blizzard. (My kind of place).

Regards,
    Bob

01' f350 Diesel, 9'2" Boss Plow, Fisher spreader