1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD plow- Controller lost power few times..help please!

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by dukester, Dec 12, 2013.

1. dukester

dukester Junior Member

Had this plow for 5 yrs. No problems before. One day lost power to controller. I could get juice back when I wiggled the connectors. Not sure which. But as soon as I pushed a function (up/down) I lost power. I cleaned everything up regreased everything worked great and was fine for a couple days. Now we had no snow to use on at time so not sure how good it was. It just worked. Put the plow on for a storm the other night. Everything was good. Next morning started truck. Nothing. No controller power again. I got the power back briefly when wiggling the connector that controls the lights, but it went right back off. Power light on controller was literally flickering before it went off. Found a wire had come off the SA solenoid. (Likely had been coming off awhile) Thought great! Hooked everything back up, controller came on, pushed to lift plow like first time it happened and lost power. As of now I can't get anything to happen anywhere. Acts like a wire(s) is off, broke, loose, somewhere. Question: Can a solenoid be intermittent? I'm thinking part of problem is everything needs a serious cleaning also. Though I really cleaned the harnesses up well when I got things working again. Other points to clean up? Dealer coming tomorrow although tells me only sold a few and hasn't worked much on them. Trying to find some help in where or what to check. Of course storm this weekend. Thank you to anyone with ideas or thoughts! BTW..truck is 04 Chevy 1500 silverado

2. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

The controller should not lose power if you unplug the plow. You should be able to turn the controller on even with the plow disconnected. Check your controller power wire that taps in the fuse box. (pink wire) make sure it has a good connection there, they sometimes come loose.

3. dukester

dukester Junior Member

That's was another thing I couldn't understand. Then meaning the issue can't be just with the plow connections or solenoid connections. But I knew if there was an issue in the connections to the controller can shut off when you try to use it. Anyway I did redo that wire and it did it. There was a pretty good rust ring where it was hooked to the fuse. Yes they just stuck the wire in and shoved the fuse in behind it. Though it did stay for 5 yrs. I guess. Hope this does the trick but I thought I had it before and it died again. But this makes sense. Also I'm getting all green and no red blinks. You are on my Xmas card list..thanks man! As soon as I can get it inside and thawed out I need to go thru all the wiring and connections. Which may be in May up here. Looking like one of those rough winters this year. Stay safe everyone and Happy Holidays!

4. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

Glad you got it figured out.Thumbs Up