1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD 75 Trip Springs?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by jdmcsnow, Feb 1, 2012.

1. jdmcsnow

jdmcsnow Junior Member

I'm using my plow for the 2nd season and love it. I was just wondering if it is tweakable. My 2000 Silverado is a low rider and I had the torsion bars jacked up. It does the job for what I use it for but it will trip over easy if it's wet heavy snow and less than a foot.(have to make a few passes) I read an old thread that said the low push bar should be 9 inches off the ground and level. What is the "low push bar"? Is that the hydraulic arms? Mine is only about 5 inches off the ground when the blade is dropped? Do I need Timbrens? Can I get heavy springs or ? I only do light plowing but would sure like professional input on how to maximize my MD investment without spending a zillion dollars? Thanks to all in advance!!
  2. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

The push bar they are referring to is the one in the picture below.

As far as it tripping in a few inches of heavy or crusty snow, mine does the same thing. You can tighten up the springs, that helps a little. Also if the blade is straight it trips easy, if it's angled it's harder to trip. It all comes down to leverage. With a little snow that's hard to push, all the pressure is on the bottom of the blade and causes it to trip easy. With a lot of snow built up in front of the blade, the pressure is distributed higher up which keeps it from tripping.

I've been experimenting on mine with adding shocks to slow down the return so it doesn't bang so much. A side benefit I've noticed is it also keeps it from tripping as easily. I'll post pictures when it's done.

3. jdmcsnow

jdmcsnow Junior Member

That clears up what the push bar is, thanks! It looks like you have over 9"? I was told that 9" was optimum? The shock install sounds like a great idea, the thing does pop up like scary crazy, it wont pop until I lift it a little THEN WHAM it flies up! I cranked the springs to the max and was bottoming out some slush yesterday and it took me 7 passes to do a 300' alley that should only take one to get it to pavement when it's 50 degrees outside running water/slush. Have you ever heard of adding springs to the MD or is that destroying it's structural integrity? Are we asking the MD to do what the HD is made for? Maybe bottoming out slush is a HD job? Please post pics of the shock fix, I will probably do that!