1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD 75 problems need help!

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Cameronmak, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Cameronmak

Cameronmak Junior Member

3rd season plow, i thought it was the -40 deg weather when it was slow moving and when elec. loaded it really dimmed lights and turned off radio with power loss. I turned off truck and went to start an hour or so later and completely dead battery. took off plow and boosted truck and starts fine without plow on now. Afraid to hook plow up again. What could it be?

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Well how old is the battery. You may have answered your own question. Hows the electrical system alternator,cabels, starter. And is it gas or diesel and dont forget -40 can also be taxing on the truck

3. Cameronmak

Cameronmak Junior Member

Its an original battery in a 07 Tacoma and the battery still shows a green hew. Never had any problems with truck so far. The alternator is 130 amps. i was reading an older thread from 2011 but with new a install that was wired incorrect but exact same symptoms.

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Put a new battery in to start with. Load test the alternator to see what it puts out for amps. Load test plow pump motor to see it's amp draw. With all this you will most likely have your answer.

5. Cameronmak

Cameronmak Junior Member

Thanx guys. I will research for the best batteries tonight and hope to do some testing tomorrow.

6. RDILLON

RDILLON Junior Member

Expected service life of almost any OE battery is no more than 4 years. Anything else you get after that is a bonus. But it doesn't feel like a bonus when it fails at the worst time! Just my 2c worth...

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That green dot is only for that one cell. So your others could be shot.
    9year old batt.....that's on borrowed time.

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Geeze man, mine's an '11, and the battery on it (original) can barely start the truck alone when its really cold out. You're on your 9th year on that sucker, time to get a new one already.

The green sensor doesn't tell the battery's condition, only that it is "charged" -- ish, which decreases with age.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Replace the battery. Replace mine every three years, that battery don't owe u a nickel