1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD 75 plow wings

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by soapy, Nov 21, 2012.

1. soapy

soapy Junior Member
    from idaho

I added some stainless steel plow wings to my MD75 plow. I had a local metal fab shop make them for me out of 1/4 inch stainless and I bolted them onto the outer rib supports of the plow. I reinforced the top with a stainless steel plate going from the outer edge of the wings back to the plow face. The total cost for the project was $280. I could have done it for 1/2 that price if I had used regular steel. Can't wait to give them a try.

snowplow wings 017.jpg

2. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Looks like it will stack good. Now to sure about windowing.

3. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

Looks good!

One ? I had it has no cutting edge what are you going to do? Build a new set!

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And it looks like it could be a pain in the ass when tripping too.

5. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

Definitly a nice job on the idea. Would these be wings or did this MD become a MD BOX? Careful when tripping. The MDs weren't designed to have wings. Seeing that you're running a Durango / Dakota I think you need a larger truck and move up to to the HD + line. You can make a HD fit that truck FYI. Just way over weight for it.

6. soapy

soapy Junior Member
    from idaho

I have 5 commercial lots that I own and a very long driveway at the house. The tilt function still works with this setup. My lots are set up where this will let me clear the snow much faster just pushing it all straight forward. Still have not had snow so can't really tell you any real world results. I will let everyone know how it works.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You need to the round the front corner so they wont catch if go slow you should be ok but That plow wont trip like it was design to

8. soapy

soapy Junior Member
    from idaho

Front corners are already rounded. I can always round them more if needed. I can undo one side or the other by removing 3 bolts.

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I think if you angled them out a bit rather than keep it boxed, then it would trip much easier.

10. soapy

soapy Junior Member
    from idaho

I finally got a chance to test the plow wings over the last 2 days. They save me about 1/3 in time to plow the lots. I can now stack snow much better than before. Did not have a problem with the plow tripping, it seemed to work fine.

11. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Looks nice.
    I built wings for both of our Snowdoggs. I have about 20 degree angle on ours,
    it made the plow 8foot 6inchs wide... Scoops better, Stacks better, cut our time
    about 30% on most jobs.
    I made ours out of steel, with 1inch thick rubber on the bottom. Plenty of room to trip.
    Have used them for several seasons and pushed some pretty heavy wet snow with them.
    Northern Indiana, we get a lot of Lake effect snow here, so they get used a lot.
    Look under Taller Snowdogg heading in the forum and you can see pictures of how it was done.

Bob

plowwings on the 98.jpg

12. soapy

soapy Junior Member
    from idaho

I have used the plow several times now and have had no problems. The side wings will wear down with the wear bar and when I replace the wear bar I will either add a small plate on the side of the wings or add a heavy rubber flap to them.