1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD-75 Installed on 2010 F-150 XLT

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by JoeInPI, Jan 14, 2016.

1. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Well, I finally got my new MD-75 installed on my 2010 F-150 XLT today, so, since I'm planning on doing truck upgrades, I figured I'd document some pictures and measurements in case my specific truck and changes match up with someone else's wishes/needs.

This is an XLT with 17" rims, and stock Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75-17's. Truck is totally stock, fitted from the factory with the heavy tow package, we previously used it to pull our 5th wheel trailer, so we already have the aux trans cooler on it too.

At the time of the pictures, I had a first generation Bed Slide, and about 300 lbs. of tools and equipment in the back, distributed around the axle. So, I'm at about 500 lbs. of weight in the bed of the truck. Plow is as it was installed by the dealer- I had not even removed any washers from the shoes.

Tires are at 35 psi cold.

Here is my new plow...

[​IMG]

Side view...

[​IMG]

Closer side view at ground level...

[​IMG]

Clearance at stock...

[​IMG]

At this point, I have a leveling kit to install, and will be getting new tires, since I need them anyhow. I have about 15% tread left at 77,000 miles. Everything else is original. As it sat, the truck dropped about 2" when the blade is lifted off the ground.

So, if you want to see an MD-75 on a stock F-150 XLT, here it is. ussmileyflag

2. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

looks good. that first pic, is the plow on the ground??

3. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Nice setup...

Looks like you have some sag there. Plow looks to be close to the ground. Mine drops the front end of my Ram 1/2"

Two things,
    The shoes don't look right with all the washers below the shoe mount. Mine is exactly opposite that. I believe you need to adjust washers so shoes and cutting edge make contact on the ground at the same time. Looks like your washers are preventing that. Shoes hitting first.

With the plow off, the two mount pins should be at 9 1/2". I'm guessing your under the 9/1/2" mark or the 2" sag is dropping it big time.

I run the tires at 45PSI in the winter.

Something to check....

BUT it does look good on the truck....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You pull a fifth wheel with a half-ton truck??? What length and weight?

5. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I pulled my shoes off tonight & wow it scrapes the pavement clean now....will take some measurements tm at the shop to see where everything is at now.

6. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Yep, pulled it just fine until we sold it last summer. It was a Forest River Wildcat 25RL. 27' long, 7,460 lbs. empty. New owner picked it up with a 2014 F-150/Ecoboost. Didn't even know the trailer was behind it... lol

[​IMG]

7. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Yes, it was on the ground...

Thanks!

Yeah, I hadn't adjusted anything yet, and the tires were still at 35psi. After bumping them up to 44 (Max on my Michelin LTX AT2's, it sits much better. I am still going to either upsize the sidewalls, or get a set of 18" rims with some good winter tires.

Washers are now adjusted up, getting a nice cut on the plow. Mounted my trigger on the sail trim on the door panel. Looks great, cord is out of the way too.

As for impressions so far:

I LOVE the plow. Not so happy with the top deflector. IMHO, much too brittle. Plowing the ends of my driveway somehow broke the right end 2' of the deflector off, it somehow folded against itself and snapped like a piece of hard plastic. Not a big deal, I'm replacing it with a softer rubber deflector anyhow.

I DON'T LOVE that my neighbors now KNOW that I have a plow. Ha ha!

I'll grab some more measurements tomorrow.

8. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Contact Snowdoggy they will send out a replacement deflector... I think its a rubber strip but should be free...

9. Icebox

Icebox Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm no expert but I would suggest looking into some timbrens for the sag. It replaces your current bump stops. I have them on my 02 avalanche with an md75.

10. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Talked to a guy the other day with an MD-75 on a 2009. Has Timbrens on it, and the plow mount hits the ground before the timbrens do. I've got a leveling kit waiting to go on, once I aired up the tires I haven't hit yet aside from a few times on a really steep driveway at out Credit Union. Also- waiting for the rubber edge...

11. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Update on my plow, as was mentioned in walkerlawncare's MD 75 thread. I was waiting for my plastic deflector edge to be replaced for a couple of weeks by our local dealer. I did end up taking it down to Scientific Brake in Alpena and with some help from another member here, mdpsci1, who I believe works out of one of their other locations we were able to clear up the miscommunications and get it replaced on Friday in the shop. It was replaced with one of Scientific Brake's rubber/poly deflectors, and everything is great. Ed, the mechanic, was great, looked over the plow and functions while I was there, and I'm happy- and look forward to more snow! Thanks!