1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MD 68 folds over

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by aloe, Jan 16, 2016.

1. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Now that my plow is working properly again, Id like to address a few issues I noticed during our only plowable event thus far. the plow would fold over when pushing snow, it was heavy & wet but it was only ~ 2" and it didnt happen every time & less if i just let the clutch out slowly & didnt accelerate any.

my truck is 2005 Tacoma TRD, stock w/ 17" wheels. i do keep about 250# salt in the bed & maybe another 150# of tools that day spread through out the access cab & bed.

i bought this plow used. it was removed from a 2007 tacoma TRD w/ 17" wheels. i used the same mounting holes as the old truck, they are in the lowest setting.

not sure if it matters, but the plow shoes do not sit flat & level to the pavement. they are tilted up a little bit. The cutting edge however is less than 1/4" from the pavement.

I plow one gravel driveway & it was extremely difficult to do it with this plow. not sure what the issue is......Ive heard most guys take the shoes off their plows. my fisher didnt have any shoes...could the shoes or improper shoe height be causing the plow to fold over?
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

First thing to check would be the trip springs. Either tighten them up if you can or, if they are in bad shape, replace them.

I used to have a full trip plow. Hated it because it would constantly trip in just 4-5" of wet snow now matter how slow or fast I went or how much I did or didn't angle it.

To some extent, that's just the nature of the beast for full trip plows.

I switched to a v plow awhile ago where just the edges trip; much much better.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My western used to trip frequently under heavy, wet snow loads. Added another spring, and that was gone.

I'd say what he said.... check / adjust / or replace your springs and go from there.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Check your pivot for any cracking while you're down there. This guy wasn't happy as you can see by the pictures...and it's happened to others as well.

That was pretty amazing how that just sheared off..
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  5. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

i remember seeing this on here. just went & checked & i have a differnt, upgraded pivot. but definately something to watch.

i dont like all the slamming back when it trips over.
  6. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Tighten springs. Mine are all the way tight. Check height from ground to push pins. Snowdogg says 9 1/2".. Does make a difference. I would check with ballast etc.