1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

McDonalds Pics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WIPensFan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I went out salting this morning at about 4:30am. Got done about 6:45am and drove to McDonalds near my home to get a coffee. As I pulled in the parking lot I saw one of their employees shoveling the walk near the building and around the drive through lanes. He shoveled a path from the walk to the drive through lane and skipped the handi-cap stalls. As I put my cream and sugar in my coffee inside, he walks in and takes his coat off because he is finished. These pictures I took as I was driving out.

These were taken at 7:05am. My opinion is that he should have shoveled the handi-cap stalls while he was out there. Also no private company or individual had been to this site to salt or plow anything. The snow we had was light & spotty and the temps were near 32 F so I wouldn't expect any plowing, but salting should have been done. These McDonalds restaurants are cash cows, why can't they pay for good service? Or at least have the employees do a better job salting and shoveling. By 7:00am this McDonalds has already had quite a few customers.

McD 1.jpg

McD 2.jpg

2. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Must be nationwide thing. We have over 10 Mcdonalds in our county, and they are all owned by the same person. They are not plowed till there is at least 2 inches on the ground, no salt, and not a decent job is done either. They have always been like this for the past 10 years. You should see how they do the lawncare. Female most of the times, brings her dog with her, and pulls the push mower out of the back of the minivan. Usually is cut about every 2 weeks or so as well, and they do irrigation there so imagine the growth.

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Not only is there snow in that pic, but I spy a few piles from past snows. Must be nice. 40's and rain here today, supposed to be close to 60 by Thursday.

On topic, it amazes me the places that skimp on salting services. With the amount of traffic through that place you would think they could afford a decent snow contractor. We do a few arbys and they want wet lots as often as possible.

4. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Shouldn't have said where you plowed bossman the mad lowballer himself will be out trying to steal your work!

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing: I am sure I would get it back after the first snowfall. What do you think buddy?? :laughing:

6. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

He's a superstar of snow and ice!

7. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

Ok I'm done hi-jacking your thread. Sorry...The McDonalds up here are usually wet 24/7. Must be cheap owners

8. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

Hey there Butcher, the ones in Porter county always get done and salted. I believe they are owned by the same people as the LaPorte county ones. My grandfather is friends with the guy that owns them all. I don't beleive he makes the decisions but is the money behind them.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First of all if I was handicap I wouldn't even park there,looks like the back of the building.That lot looks like all the others in my area after a dusting.

10. WIPensFan

The side door is just out of camera shot and the sidewalk wheelchair access is right there! If they had applied salt at 5:00am it would have been wet pavement by 6:00am. I wasn't so concerned with the entire lot as I was the handi-cap stalls that would have taken less than 5 min to shovel by hand.

11. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Same here in Ontario

Same problem here in Stratford Ontario, I know the guy that services 2 of them and they won't pay to him to service properly. These are disgusting to look at and snow and ice packed lots all winter long.

Staff has to maintain the walks....they are passable most the time.

No quality and liability minded company in town will bid them because of their low standards, high traffic and public risk of slips and falls.

12. WIPensFan

That's kind of what i was thinking, especially the liability part. I know they must be tough to service because of the constant heavy traffic, but I would think the funding is available.

13. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

Snow here was melted pretty much by 8:00am, but I still saw guys throwing salt down onto wet pavement. That's why companies skimp on the salt to a certain extent because of the over salting that occurs. The McDonalds around this area are also very cheap though.

14. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I don't see an issue with the lot, that's actually better then most restaurants.....

15. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

We service 5 of them in our area all under 1 owner. Salt only after plow. No seprate saltings. We tell them its more dangerous when theres a dusting of snow than 4 inches of snow. Nobodys slips in a cupple inches of snow people slip when theres that glaze of snow/ice. Whatever at least they pay good.

16. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

The two McDonald's near here are owned by the same owner. He plows and salts both lots himself. Does a very nice job too. But on the original pics, if I owned that lot I'd be ashamed.

17. WIPensFan

There is no doubt the entire lot should have been salted before opening time. The real issue I had was the employee could have shoveled the handi-cap stalls and tossed out some salt. The only clear pavement at 7:00am was a one lane circle around the building that had been driven on. None of the outer stalls were clear. It's a small lot and could be salted by hand in 15 min. Really, the only cost for them to do it themselves would be 2x40# bags of salt. I don't fault any snow contractor, I'm sure they only come when certain conditions are present. I do think the level of service should be higher for McDonalds, most of them are making plenty of money.

Yes the snow would have melted by 9:00am provided it was in a sunny area of the lot, but many customers show up well before that time.

18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Thats probably one of the cleanest I have seen. Around here they are usually not touched until 2" and usually never salted. I had one 2 years ago and kept it plowed every half inch, never once got salt but I did keep the lot pretty clean needles to say I no longer do them

19. AMS77

AMS77 Senior Member
    from 43964

Same here none of the fast food restaurants keep their lots clean usually a total mess. I now people have complained to Mcdonalds corporate about the lot at the one we have in town and still nothing has ever been done.

20. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

As the economy worsens this scenerio will not change places don't care if you walk in snow/ice. Their a business out to make buck not pay it out...!