1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

maybe too big for me

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtmandan2, Oct 28, 2008.

1. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I gave a bid today for a very large trailer park, no shoveling and no d. ways, just the roads. There are 9 roads total. Some are 300' long and 1 is a quarter mile long. they range from 26' wide to 40' wide. In total almost a mile and a half. I have 4 trucks, all 7 1/2 and 2 with wings. I have 1 sub available and a 2 yard loader available. I'm starting to wonder if I should back out of this as I don't think i'm equipped to do it on a larger snowfall. by the time i'm done the roads are going to get pretty narrow. I dont want to buy a single axle being this is the only account i'd have a use for it. I guess im hoping someone will say not to wory about it, and that it can be done. I think on a small snowfall that this will take about 4 hours, am I in the ballpark?

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

While I have no accounts that large. There is a trailer park in my area similar in size and I would see no issue getting it done in 4 hours with 4 trucks. In fact I'm pretty sure the park near me has only 2 trucks do it with their own maintenance guys.

3. dirtmandan2

I think the small snowfall 4 hours total time, what i'm worried about is keeping the roads wide enough. It's going to take forever to widen with a loader, and I dont think the pickups are heavy enough to keep pushing the snow to the side. I think that by half way through January the 40 foot roads will be 1 lane.

4. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I think you'll be fine, Keep speed if your able to about 15 mph. Not sure if it has speed bumps every 10' like the parks around here. But I don't think you've bit off more than you can chew. I have a private road about half mile. Very simple in and out.

(less than yours but you'll be fine)

Whats your yearly average snowfall?

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Cant you keep windrowing it to the lawns each time it snows? May need to get a plow like the Boss XT or a "county plow". If the roads are in decent shape you should be able to get decent speed for "throwing" the snow.

Only thing that I see sucking is when you plow around a car, and the pile around them gets rock hard. You gotta come back and clean it up after the car is moved.

6. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I'm not a road plower, but it looks like 6 acres to me. That would only take me 6 or 7 hours with one of those trucks, if it was an open lot (and lots of backing up).

Otherwise I'm thinking 1-1/2 miles at 15 mph = 6 minutes

Take that times 12 passes, and you have 72 minutes. Add some time for turning around, pushing back intersections, etc. and you should be under 3 hours with ONE truck. If you were thinking of using multiple trucks, that should allow you a lot of extra time for the loader when you need it.

7. dirtmandan2

last winter we were a little over 80". this year the forecast is 109". about half the roads are brand new last summer and the other half are terrible. there are no speed bumps at all. I told her when its snowing hard that we'd have to come every 3 to 4" which she didnt think was needed, I explained to her that its not going to cost her more that way just be a lot easier for us, I bid this by the hour which is what she wanted, but she wanted to know how long I thought it would take.

8. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Snowandgo has the right numbers. Looks to me that you should be able to handle this. Unfortunately for you you're getting an hourly rate. Bad idea.

9. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

may sound crazy but i know a certain company that plows a 5 mile trailer park with no speed bumps but with 9 roads and about 15 intersections with a f-350 and a 810 only

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Remember no backing up not a lot of traffic . As long as you don't have to do the drives ,very easy.

11. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

exactly, i dont see why it would be a problem. mite want to invest in a v plow for one of your trucks though, could make it a lot easier to open up if you get a larger snow fall.

12. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

You should be fine. our local trailer park sounds just a bit smaller and the manager use to do it in just a couple of hours with his boss 8.2 V Like grandview said, no backing up and no traffic. You just keep driving in circles until its all opened up. GOOD LUCK

13. midnightrodeo

midnightrodeo Junior Member

I think you should be ok. Make sure you have enough room to windrow at least some snow off into the yards though.

14. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I do this park with one truck some times two if my sub gets there the same time. With just me it about 1 hour or less. With two it takes 30 minutes or way less at 3 inches of snow. This is a gravel road around the rear of the park and the front is paved.

Easy money its done every 3 inches of snow for our 170 in per season average. I also do all the grounds work! What a deal!! It is also bid at a per plow price! :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

trailerpark.jpg

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You could do that with 2 trucks if you had 1 truck with a 9' blade. Do you have to plow at the end of the storm or when there is a cerntain amount of snow on the ground?

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure I am following this.

You have approximately 7 acres of pavement to plow, that can all be windrowed to the edge?

Or do you have to carry it to the ends?

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think, he's just windrowing Mark.....sounds like a fairly easy place to do. If he's worried about the equipment, I dont see why a 7.5 blade wouldn't push the snow far enough back all year. Just keep your speed up so the snow comes off the blade a little further.

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya I know people that have never had any thing but a 7.5' plow and they have no problems at all.

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If your buying a new plow i would look at one that has some roll on the mold board. The older 8' Meyer had a nice curve on it and with some speed would realy throw the snow when doing roads

20. dirtmandan2

well sounds like this isnt going to be a problem, am supposed to find out by the middle of next week whether or not I got it. I do appreciate the re-assurance that you guys have given me. just made me nervous, ive never lost a comm. job in the six yrs ive been plowing for myself, and I dont want to get myself in a situation thats going to make me look bad.