1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

maybe someone can help??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DAVID1963, Dec 16, 2007.

1. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

ok i have a walk behind salt spreader that is use for small lots and walkways,i also use a snow blower that i take in my truck when i go plow so theirfore i dont have a tailgate spreader,anyway my problem is i seem to be going through alot more salt then i figured and i am able to control the rate but as im applying it it dont seem like its enough and i wind up going through it like water.I go through 2-3 50lb bags on a small lot and walk way and everyone around here tells me its too much but to be honest it dont seem like enough.I swear a 50 lb bag last like 30 secounds it seems like even at a slower rate of spread.Anyway im getting about a $12 PROFIT on each bag but thats including labor so am i being paranoid and putting to much down ?

2. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

Not Enough Profit I Get $22 Per 50 Lb Bag Applied Threw A Tailgate Spreader Dont Be Afraid To Charge As Safety Is The Greatest Selling Point Good Luck

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

When you say small lot, how small do you mean?

For what you describe it sounds just about right maybe walk faster?

I have a real small lot I do as well. Maybe 3 vehicles wide and a semi length deep.

I use 2 bags always and 3 or 4 if it is still snowing.

Like others have said safety 1st.

What others do and what they advise can be 100 different things by the way.
    Just stick to what you think is best and treat it as you would your own drive and you'll be fine.

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

A general rule of thumb: A good Effective amount for normal freezing temps (20's) of bagged salt is around 20# per 1000 sq. ft. You get around 2500 sq. ft. out of a 50# bag. Now, if you are using salt on concrete sidewalks, it would have to go down a bit heavier for grit and a tighter melting pattern. However, I would never, and I mean NEVER apply or recommend sodium on sidewalks. It just causes too much damage. There are too many products that do less harm, even the chlorides, that are safer on the surface because of their lower freezing properties, and are safer for pedestrians for the same reason. Many times these products can be more economic to use as well, because even though the initial cost of the bag may be more, the product goes much farther with better coverage.

5. bln

bln Senior Member

I quit using spreaders and switched over to 50 gallon buckets, it is faster, alot less is used and there is no overspray on lawns and beds. We save about 12 bags a night doing this. oh yeah and th holes don't get clogged in a bucket.