1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

maybe not over yet

Discussion in 'Weather' started by PLOWMAN45, Mar 8, 2007.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Here's my points...

1. The ugly warm-up comes about because you get a lot of clouds and pockets of showers. We are entering the time of year where we go from long-wave troughs to cut-off lows that become detached from the overall jet stream and takes days to cross the country. One such closed low will develop this weekend and migrate across the southern tier of the country, causing showers and severe storms. Tomorrow, I will be looking more closely at the severe weather threat...

2. Here's my concern for the upcoming 10 days. We have a lot of warm air around again. We have cold air still trying to plunge southward. There are signs on the models that a storm develops late next week and heads to the Great Lakes. Given the large contrast in temperatures, I expect we are going to see a large storm developing, and one that could rival the most recent storm that produced blizzard conditions and severe weather. I can also see how that storm ends up getting shoved eastward and a swath snow ends up going from Chicago to New England. What I am saying, winter is far from over and that we have at least one, perhaps two, winter storms to go yet this month, despite the increasing warmth.
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

im speechless

All I have to say is lets wait and see.

I know that this 60* weather is that is forcasted is going to be great for passing out lawncare flyers this weekend!
  3. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

please don't it was a crappy winter so let it be over with so I can start the Spring clean-up early and make somepayup
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

As much as i just want spring to be here....im holding you to that last one lol
  5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It is likely that we will see another cold air mass for New England before it really starts warming up. Without even looking at my weather data for previous years, I can remember sitting out on the porch watching the first week of March Madness with temps in the 50-60 and then plowing snow and listening to it on the radio the next week as I was plowing snow. Not this does not happen every year but it does happen.

Another point. I watch NBC 30 here in CT and they love to talk about temp records. One thing I have notice that counteracts the "global warming" people are saying here and makes this winter just a fluke warm one is the records. Many of the warmest day beat/or came close to record days from the 1930s, 1960 &1970s. Now I am not sure about the 30s but I know the 60-70s were some of the consistenly snowiest winters. Alot of the coldest temps this year have beat or come close to records from more recent times. I am not sure what factor this plays but there it is.

It is also true for Southern New England the the top 3 total snwofalls for the season has been in the last 20 years, though I do not have the dates.

So do not despair if we do not get any more snow this year, next winter will likely be very differen as were the winters before this one.

Having said all this, this weekends project is to actually get the trailer cleaned off, check the lights, service the bearings, etc to get ready. Most of my lawn equipment has been serviced over the winter, but I am waiting on tires for a mower etc to get going. I plan on starting cleanups as usuallu at the end of March. Of course we have had to stop for snow before.
  6. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

yea id love to get one more, this is perfect i just got brand new hideaways that im gonna put in while its warm tomorrow mayb ill luck out and get to use them once this year

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Long term outlook here (Chicagoland) is maybe snow 1-5 inches around the 20th.
  8. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

I remember back in 1990/91 we had the same kind of winter as we did this year and got blasted with 8 inches of the heavy stuff on st.pattys day,hope it plays out like that this yearpayup
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

It was 1998 or 97 he had like 8 inches of snow on April 1
  10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Ohh its over. I kicked old man winter's ass yesterday!!!! LOL:D He wont be commin around no time soon, hopefully
  11. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Plow man we got about two feet that storm your talking about! Winter is not over even though most of us would like to see it over, so we can get back our real jobs and make some much needed income!

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

Im on your side Plowman but I don't think forecasters can predict a storm 1 day away let alone a week or two. The forecasters in my area have been right once this year....:dizzy:
  13. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Calling for snow here for Saturday.
  14. Jto89

Jto89 Member

friday night into saturday morning they are calling for 2-4 inches
  15. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

Yeah looks like 1-3 here Friday night into Saturday!!!

Bring it *****!!!! payup
  16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Enough Said

Winter Storm Watch
    Statement as of 3:49 PM EDT on March 14, 2007

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from late Thursday night through
    Friday afternoon...

The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a Winter Storm
    Watch... which is in effect from late Thursday night through
    Friday afternoon. This includes southwest New Hampshire... western and
    central Massachusetts... as well as northern Connecticut.

The potential exists for 6 or more inches of snow and sleet
    accumulation late Thursday night into Friday... with the highest
    confidence north of the Massachusetts Turnpike.

A strong cold front will bring rain and much colder temperatures into
    the region on Thursday. The rain may temporarily come to an end late
    Thursday afternoon and into part of the night. The rain may mix with
    sleet before this first batch of precipitation exits the region.

The main focus will be on a developing powerful noreaster that is
    expected to track up the New England coast Friday into early Saturday.
    Snow will develop toward daybreak on Friday from south to north. The
    morning rush hour looks to be messy... particularly along and south
    of the Massachusetts Turnpike. The precipitation may hold off until
    just after daybreak across far northern Massachusetts and southern
    New Hampshire. Regardless... snow may fall heavily at times Friday
    morning which could be mixed with sleet south of the Massachusetts

At this time... the track of the system will probably allow the snow
    to change to sleet Friday afternoon or night. This could happen
    earlier south of the Massachusetts Turnpike. However... the potential for
    6 or more inches of snow exists before the change over to sleet and
    possibly even some freezing rain late Friday. The highest confidence for
    6 inches or more of snow is to the north of the Massachusetts
    Turnpike... where a longer period of snow is expected before the
    change over to sleet.

A Winter Storm Watch is issued for the potential of accumulating
    snow of 6 or more inches in a 12 hour period or 8 or more inches
    in a 24 hour period. Anyone traveling in the next 24 to 36 hours
    should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to modify travel
    plans should winter weather develop.
  17. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Great. I knew that when I put my plow away this weekend it would come back to haunt me. My gravel driveway is such a mess right now I know that I'm not going to be plowing that!
  18. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

I hope we get SOMETHING here on the east side of things!
  19. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

okay I know lots of you guys didn't get a good winter this year, but I've had enough, and now its supposed to be another 4"+ starting late tonight - so yet another daytime plow:angry: That'll make for the last 3 out of 4 plows a pain in the arss plow.

sorry for the rants. I just have some big landscape projects I want to start and this ain't helping.
  20. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Yea right now its looking good for northern Jersey. Just hope we get some more of the white stuff. Im not getting my hopes up until tomorrow night and im not asking for a foot just something bigger then 5 inches.(5" was Sparta's biggest snowfall this year in one storm).:realmad: We can only pray now.:nod: :bluebounc :salute: