1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maybe,, just maybe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alan, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Forecast is for 80% probability of snow, Saturday night into Sunday morning. Accumulations of "several inches" possible, temperatures in the low 20s overnight Saturday and near 30 on Sunday. So,, MAYBE we'll get to test hop the equipment on a nice little storm. All the forecasters are agreeing on this one. What's the outlook for Maine and the flatlands?

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Flatlander Outlook....

Rain with maybe a flake or two mixed in:mad:

Thats all from your new weather source FWS

Flatlanders Weather Service :p

and Alan watch the wisea$$ comeback on the Flake or two comment. :p

I know you wanna say something...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2001
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

We put the blades on all the trucks before we went home for the day.

Geoff

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

The weather guessers around these parts are calling for 5-10 from eastern NY to nothern CT southern VT,NH and central MA. Probably going to be slush for the "big city folk" :mad: .

5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Ready to go in Albany. Supposedly 4-7. If the forecast is right it'll all be melted on monday.
    Casey

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

So far as of 6pm 12/7/01, Channel 6 Weather predicts 4 to 8 inches of snow for my area. Expected to start Saturday night through Sunday morning. Can't wait to try out my snowplow for the first time.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Maybe 3" for me. We got the leaf box off and all sanders on today. Got some work tomorrow then will check the weather and decide whether to put the plows on or not. Looks like a sanding event though. That's ok easy money.

8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Still waiting our turn in eastern PA.

Mark

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Sand, for 3" of what will probably be wet snow, on warm pavement? Faster, neater, and more money in your pocket to use salt. Other than tradition, there's not much justification for sand applications. You probably still use metal edges too.

10. GeoffD

If we were to get 2-3" my plan would be as followed.

Send out the trucks with the spreaders, after an inch or so. Let the salt work to a brime. Then go back to the shop, you might even be all set for the rest of the storm. If not go out and salt a little more, or if you have to strap on the blades.

Geoff

11. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

not expecting really any thing here ........salters are ready

12. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The 3" predicted is for grassy areas. Zero predicted for pavement areas. But anything by now will get those fence-sitters to pick a plower...

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am pretty high in elevation. We get it to stick when the reat of the state just gets it on the grass.

Sand is what is used here. Customers want it not just salt. Go figure.

Yup steel blades will scrap the hard pack!

14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If the plower is doing his job right there IS no hard pack! Customers must be different down there, around here they want access, how I provide that is up to me.

15. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Customers are different in this area. They want access, but they find ways to cut corners fast. A few years back when I decided I wanted to start converting to straight salt I was asked "why are your prices higher than all the others?" , when I told them "becuase I use straight salt". The next reply I usually recieved was " well your plowing prices are okay but if you want the job your going to have to come down on your de-icing prices". So I had to go back to 50-50 mix if I wanted to keep competitive. The bottom line is if your prices are significantly higher than your competition you will have serious trouble with aquiring work. Is straight salt better than sand and salt? Of course! But most of the customers around these parts look foward to snow removal about as much as trip to the dentist. Its a necessary evil that should be made as painless as possible, as far as they are concerned.

The biggest exception I have found to the rule is Hospitals, they require black and wet at all times and most are willing to pay for it.

16. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

BUT,, you can apply straight salt in a quantity adequate to prevent pack and maintain traction for the same price as you can apply mix. That's the material end of it, your application costs will be less with salt than with mix. It works, the numbers work, even if you're charging by the service. If you're on fixed price it works out even better.

17. GeoffD

Looks like the storm is going to pass south of us.

Geoff

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

People here want sand. That is all I can say. I have tried to sell the salt. I use it in some applications. If people ask for mix then that is what I provide. Either way I make money. I charge material plus spreading fee.

19. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Alan,
    We are beating the dead horse again. Untill the contractors become educated, then the customer never will.
    Hey at least we know what we are doing, and can provide the type of service that will take customers away from the dark age contractors.
    lets see, should we hire the guy that lets pack accumulate, and then tears our lawns and curbs up. Keeps us awake all night with that loud scaping noise. Or hire the guy that comes quiet in the night, preapplies his deicers, prevents the pack from forming, and then leaves a nice clean site when done. No sand tracked into our condo unit, or front office. Oh yeah, he also leaves our landscape in tack, and doesnt wack us with a 1000.00 sand clean up bill in the spring. Guess who is gonna get that contract.
    Unless you are willing to show the customer what will work, why should they change.
    It is a fact that straight salt will be more cost effective than a 50/50 mix. When applied appropiately, it will keep any icing condition from forming, thus negating the need for grit. Do you see mix on the interstates, no way. They get out there early and keep the bond from forming.
    On secondary roads, they dont have enough units to apply the staright salt before the pack forms, so they use a mix there.
    Dino

20. GeoffD

we used to plow, commercial lots with as little as 1 inch of snow. Now we salt, and have no need to plow unless it snows really fast or is over 2"

Geoff