1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maybe a stupid question here but...

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Brian Young, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

For those with extended cabs, what are you guys doing for a cig. lighter plug in. I was looking at a Hella MLB 200 but the cord is only the usual 10ft. I measured the length of cord needed and coming up with at least 11-12ft, that's running it on the floor, through the cab vent up the back window and about center on the cab. Would hate to spend 300 on a light and something happen to it and they see I spliced the cord.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Just wire up a plug behind back seat.

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You could run the wire permanently down the kick panel grove and up to the 3 brake light and only plug it in during snows

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  5. dieselss

6. Brian Young

Thanks guys, never thought about the extension cord. I found one on Amazon with 2 ports and 2 usb ports with 4ft cord for 24 bucks. I'm really diggin' that 2 color light bar plus it's cheaper than the Whelen LP Responder's we're running now. Thanks again

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I bought an extension cord and the plug from the light kept popping out (it was a cheap extension), so I had to duct tape it but never had issues other than that.

8. Tri-State PSE

Tri-State PSE Inactive

Thanks for your purchase Today Brian.
    Let us know how you like your Dual Color MLB200 light bar!

9. Brian Young

Will do, thanks Eric!

10. CraigH

CraigH Junior Member

On the premises of the OP post title, I have another stupid question. Currently I have a halogen strobe wired to my OEM roof consol switch. Simple on and off. If I went to an LED how could I change the flash pattern with this setup?

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

My led roof light has about 30 built in flash patterns. You touch it with a magnet to switch it to the next pattern. Kind of a pain, but once you find the pattern you want, there's no real need to change it.

12. CraigH

CraigH Junior Member

13. dieselss

You still need another switch to change patterns, or you set the pattern and never change it.

14. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I just ordered the same hella light . Seems to be pretty bright

15. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

I bought a cheaper one off ebay and for some reason they came with a coiled cord(great idea.....) Well I had 2 options of extending the cig to the back but then that ran me into the problem of not being able to change my flash pattern from the front seat(default to sloe wig-wag) I like mine on the quick flash which requires pushing the button on the end of the cord to change between presets... So I went to napa bought a 3 conductor jacketed wire and just extended the wire to make it a total of 10 foot of added cord plus the original 5-8foot of coiled cord... Since I have the full husky liner rear floor mats just gonna run it under them then to my cig lighter up front that way its easily removable in the spring.. I didnt mind cutting up a 40.00 light since it was much cheaper than the name brand ones at 150.00+