1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

May sell the equipment...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Feb 6, 2002.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

The more I stand back and look at things, the more it looks like I'm going to need to sell my equipment. I've got another baby on the way (any day now), and I just don't have the time to get out there and make a profitable business out of it. I don't know how long my wife is going to be off of work, but I'm probably going to get a second job here shortly to help with $$$ since it's not snowing... BUT, what if it does snow? I hate situations like this.

How much do you think I could get for a good condition 25-Series Snoway Steel plow (with Polyurethane edge) & a Western ProFlo 2 spreader?

Guess pride and love of a job go out the window when you've got your family to think about...
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Tim,sorry to hear of your situation.Unfortunately we havent had the winter we were hoping for,and realistically,I would have made more $$ up to this point getting a PT job,than i cleared up tot his point,after expenses(a lot this year),but I wouldnt trade what i do for anything,its all worth it when the snow flys.Id buy that spreader in a heartbeat if I werent so far away.Thats the exact spreader im looking for.
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Hang in there man.

You will loose money on your equipment, i would keep it. Don't forget you put the extra money into your truck for extra stuff. That you will not get back when you sell your equipment.

Last year we had a great year, lots of extra services. This year we take plows on and off, more than anytime in the past.

4. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Hang in there. Been there myself at one point. The money that you will get back is not comparable enough to what you already have. Any monies that you receive will be absorbed before you know it and will not make that much of a change. Good luck. Jake.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Tim, I really hate hearing this. You've been through a lot the last year. Any chance of hanging onto your equipment while you take a PT job and get someone to work for you if you need it? These are the winters we need to just get through and wait for the good ones.
  6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Try to find a flexible part time job at least. Let them know when it snows, you won't be there, but you'll be back if they'll take you. If you are a good dependable worker (that's what I'd bet ;) ), you'll find an employer that will be willing to work with you. Good luck.
  7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

i feel for you

I picked up a good used plow this fall to make a little extra cash . I have a pretty good boss that will allow me to take off here and there to move snow, if it ever does. But being in the body repair field my day job is suffering severely with the lack of ice and snow. we had a few deer hits a while back but not as many as a "normal year".
    This year has been bad for a lot of people so dont feel alone.
    Sounds like a little foul weather for this weekend,maybe.

Hope you can hold out a little longer.
    Its just gotta snow a little more before spring and it'll probably make up for our lack of snow so far.

Good luck
    Mark K
  8. SlimJim Z71

The kicker is that I really enjoy doing this stuff, and I'm VERY happy with my equipment. I don't know exactly when life got so hectic, but I don't seem to have the time to do much of anything anymore.

I guess what will make the decision is after my baby is born, my wife want's me to go apply at the city (closer to home, no more working on cars). If I get the job there, I'd be plowing for them during the winter, so it would be pointless to have my own stuff. I don't know... just have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry about your predicament.

I've no complaints. Been out 5 times, (2 for residentials) several more for salting, that combined with the multi-year seasonals have given me a comfortable income and allows me to sit on my a$$ most of the time :D
  10. SlimJim Z71

I wish we could get seasonal contracts out here. Due to the freakish weather we get, people just don't go for them.
  11. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

If you think you can, or you think you can't...... you're right.
  12. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Tim,
    If you don't owe anything on the equipment, I'd say hold onto it. With the new baby, you may not have time for plowing next year. But you may want to come back after taking a year or so off. Even if you don't have regular accounts you could still use it to pick up a few flag-downs etc. if you have the time.
    Hang in there and see how things work out before doing anything hastily.

Good Luck,
  13. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Do the best for you, follow your instinct.

For most of us, 2001-2002 is a bad seasons. Not enough snow for somes, somes had too many little event with no storm, no extra money, etc, etc...Big difference with last years. We were on the top of the hill and now we are down...The snow is always a roller coster, so better look at that, at least, on a 3-5 years scale.

Now with your dilema, the momemtum for the resale is not good at all, too many choice for few buyers, and the worst buyers don't have money to buy and salers need money, so it's end up on a cheap price.

Try to find a little part time job, ask on lawnsite, you may find someone that need some help for spring start up.

So, next years all the fact will be there to raise the price on per push, seasonnal contract may be harder to sell, but still possible. and probably a lot of job will be available if few plower quit plowing.

Hang on, all may happen.
  14. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I feel yor pain, as I'm sure alot of us are in the same boat. Most of us get to that point when things are going slow, or not at all.
    Then we have good years which makes it all the while. I personally have a few friends that have small construction company's, which makes it easy to take off to plow. most of the time it's not full time, but it helps to pay small bills. ask your friends, i'm sure you can find something. I was going to go to an temp. service such as manpower when they didn't have work after xmas, then they were all calling! hang in there....it's worth being your own boss.
  15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Denis makes real good points about what you might get out of the equipment--it'll be a buyers market after this lousy year.

We've probably all been in the place you're at. As far as the excavating business goes, heck, I think what you're thinking at least once every couple of weeks.

Hang in there...
  16. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

There is a Plowsite member here who lives maybe 50 miles from me who consistently claims that its impossible to get seasonal customers in his area...yet 30 miles north west and east of him there are other members who do quite well with seasonals...as JAA says its a contractor mindset not just a customer one.

Go to your public library hit the childrens section and take 20 min and read "The Little Engine that Could"...
  17. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Try your hardest to hold on to the equipment. We may even get some white stuff this Sunday. Channel 6 (FOX) says that there is a good chance that next year will be another mild winter due to this "El Nino". I know it is hard to go outside and look at this equipment every day without getting pi$$ed off at Mother Nature but hang in there. When it comes down to the wire and you decide to sell the equipment, let me know.
  18. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I feel sorry for you Z71 all of us are in about the same boat, unless you have a ton of seasonal contracts. i put a ton of money into experimenting with liquid deicer. (I have only had to use 50 gallons so far, with another 400 gallons left) I was counting on a good winter to get my second year of lawncare off to a good start. I finally saved enough to go buy a nice trailer this month. now I just need another mower... and I would be starting the mowing season off right.... but I may have to use the old john deere another year and hope for the new zero turn Exmark next year! This year I am going to push 12 month payment plans on lawncare with snow removal included.

Hang in there cuz' you will be kickin' yourself when the big snow hits!
  19. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Good luck, I appreciate your dilemma. If you get to the selling point, let me know. Maybe I can help you find a buyer. Seasonals would be nice, I gotta come up with something besides this "per push" thing.

TRINITY Junior Member

Don't sell your stuff! My daughter was born on May 20 2000. Two weeks later I sold my truck with my unimount on it fearing I wouldnt be able to pay the bills with my wife out of work. Then we got all that snow in december! Remember that! It turns out that I never really needed to sell my truck I just paniced. My wife still stays at home with our daughter and we are expecting another in July yet I managed to get a couple of older plow trucks and have lined up 12 acounts ( 2 prepaid ). So hang in there and good luck!