1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

May need help in Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drivewaydoctor, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

Here is the deal. I need some help. I had a deal worked out for a 1 ton slide in salter for my Ford F-250 HD 1 ton truck. Everything was great but now it seems like the deal is falling through and I have contracts that require salting.

What I'd like to discuss is if anyone has any extra 1 ton salters kicking around I can "lease" per month or "rent". I will ensure it is fully insured etc.

Worst case scenario I could use a tailgate salter if no one has a slide in salter.

I understand this is a long shot I'm just hoping someone around here has been in my shoes at one time and will consider giving me a hand this year. I got mouths to feed too :(

Call me on my cell please or email me if you can help.

John
    416-795-8547
    John@TheDrivewayDoctor.ca

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Have you tried looking on autotrader or kijiji? Im sure you can find one for $1-2000... May need a little work but why not...

3. Yeah I'm finding lots of tailgate salters for that price but I'd like to see a 1 ton...

I figure this might be a good opportunity for everyone if I can "rent" one. The salter owner will get money and still own the salter.

Just a thought. I'm in a jam...

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How much salt are you planning to spread/storm?

5. Hi Dave,

I'm guessing somewhere between 15 and 30 tons.

I had all of my finances worked out (going through a divorce, she got half) and when this salter deal fell through it tossed a major wrench into the system.

A good friend of mine killed himself two years ago. He owned a very successful landscaping company. His Ex Wife got the company. She is letting the company go, she doesn't want it. The books are so messed up she cant sell it for what its really worth.

Anyways, I have a camper trailer I was selling and she seen that and said she wanted it and offered to trade me a slide in box salter for the trailer. We met, shook hands etc and the deal was finalized. Now it seems like she is backing out and here I am with contracts to provide salting along with plowing. Chances of me selling my trailer in time to get the salter are slim and because of the divorce I no longer have the financial reserve to go out and buy a salter.

Boy am I stressed!

6. Triple L

from Canada

Are you sure? Thats allot of salt to be spreading with a pick-up... that'll be a full night just spreading right there IMO...

What are you plowing all this with? I dont see much of anything in your sig?

7. I could be off by a little but I'm not sure. I have contracts that require salting every time I plow. If I plow 15 times this winter then they get salted 15 times. I also might have a very large contract that I'm not sure I'm ready for. I may need to hire brokers to assist or bring in another company to help.

8. Triple L

from Canada

LOL i see, total of 15-30 tons.... I thought you meant 15-30 tons per night :laughing:

9. My Ram is my plow. I know, before you jump on the fact its a 1500 its not a normal 1500... It was owned by a US Army mechanic (I imported it) and it is all jacked with heavy duty suspension, tranny etc. Its an extended cab with 8 foot box. I took it to Dodge for service last year and they guy said he couldnt believe its a 1500...

My ford will be the salting truck, no plow. It was a city of Vaughn truck and is very strong.

10. Yes total 15 to 30 for the season.... lol

I gotta run, if you know of anyone that can help please pass them my phone number. Any help would be appreciated.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So did I. 15-30 ton/tear is an easy deal for a tailgate spreader plus you can see way better when backing up with a tailgate spreader. I don't have anything that will suit you but if I hear of anything I'll let you know.

12. Ok dave thanks man. any help would be greatly appreciated. im at my witt's end. i know i will dump probably 1 to 2 tons of salt per storm. thats why i figured a tailgate would be too small. at this point i will take anything so i will have peace of mind knowing i can deliver what i agreed to in writing.

13. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

tailgate it up bud, you are not going to find anyone that wants to rent you one, sorry, but it just isn't worth it.

My first year I had a 6 cf snoway tailgate spreader and we put alot of salt through that thing. You need a helper though, to shake it!

14. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

1-2 tons is not alot of salt a night, easily do that with a tailgate.

What would your price range be then to purchase a tailgate spreader?

15. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

No its not Jon does that per truck 2 yards at a time. :laughing:

16. Pristine PM ltd

ha, we do alot more then that per truck per night. Stupid townhome driveways and front steps eat alot of it.

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Right it was 3ish or almost 4. Arnts guy Rock you are lucky to have them so close. U need someone with a bigger truck to salt your places.;) :waving:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  18. Triple L

from Canada

You guys put down more then 15 ton per event with each pickup?

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Someday Jon will figure out it's cheaper to plow 4" then melt it.

20. Pristine PM ltd

no no, we put down between 7.5 and 10 per truck, depending on the route. I was saying alot more then 1 to 2 tons per truck.

One day Dave, one day. When the contract says "salt included", that means that I salt it none stop every inch right?

Get the bigger truck, and we will see DaveGrassman.