1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

may have lost a job due to a rookie mistake. Just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowcrazy, Jan 3, 2012.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Well, I am definetly a rookie at the snow and ice management. I live in ohio and yesterday we got enough snow to salt. although ive been wanting it to snow i was very sick yesterday so hated to go out. I salted all my lots and on the last one I had about an extra couple hundred pounds of salt left. The last place I had to salt was a bank. I just wanted to get rid of the salt I had so instead of just putting the original 350lb of salt down I went ahead and got rid of all that was left in the spreader on the lot which was prolly another 200lbs. there salt rate is done flat rate so they werent going to get charged more for the extra little bit of salt. I just felt like crap and wanted it out of the spreader to get the truck and spreader washed off to get my sick but back to bed......

The next morning the bank calls (today) and wants to know what the heck I was thinking putting down so much salt and that it looks rediculous and the lot is like walking on gravel. well, it did look pretty bad when I went up and took a looksee. Lesson learned..........

question for some of you. In the event you have a little extra salt and need it out of the spreader what do you do with it.? I don't have the luxury of a salt bin or I would just spin it back out in there.

2. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

Bummer... I don't know it doesn't look that bad to me.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them it will be gone in a day or two. Then tell them there was a lot of black ice on their lot and you were making sure no one wold fall or hit someone with their car.
  4. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

looks like your good for the next time.
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm with GV. Tell them you had their best interest in mind and put down more than usual for no extra charge. How could they get mad about that?
  6. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Yup, you over did it a little to help with safty. Didn't think that would cause an issue. Thumbs Up
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I can see why they are ticked. The carpet in the bank probably looks the same now.

Next time waste on the road if you have to.
  8. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

appreciate you fellas not bashin me up to bad, actually there was ice under the snow. It was VERY slick. it had snowed throughout the day and hadnt been sticking but as night came that stuff started to freezed and a light accumulation of snow fell on top of that.

I did assure them they wouldnt get charged anymore than usual and that I was very sorry. Im not 100% sure I lost it yet but management sure didnt seem happy. I think what she was more mad about than anything was all the salt being drug into the bank by customers. I can see why honestly but hope they will accept my apology and let me give it another shot. Once again fellas thanks for not killin me with words!!! LOL
  9. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Pretty sure that was part of it............ Its definetly lesson learned but like I said, In the end i may have lost one of the first jobs I ever picked up.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think so.
  11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

To me it's bogus that they dropped you.

I've seen situations where 1/2 of dry snow, on a 5 acre lot and only 1 ton of salt applied created that situation.

I've also seen 1/2 of wet snow, 3 tons applied on 5 acres, and not a single grain of salt left over when said and done.

12. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Not sure im "dropped" yet, just got that nasty feelin when I got the phone call that they may be looking elsewhere. That may in fact be me being paranoid though..........
  13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

We've all done it, or at least I have. It's difficult to judge, the amount of salt required, but when you used 160% of the amount normally used, I can see why they are complaining.

When this happened to me several years ago, I simply offered to sweep the sidewalks in order to help curtail the salt being tracked into the buildings. Hopefully you'll get some more snow later this week and redeem yourself to looking like a hero again.

Remember, they typically only complain when something is wrong, but I doubt they call to praise when it's met or exceeded their expectations....
  14. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I normally just spread it out on the road if there is to much for one of my lots.
  15. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

That part Im pretty good on actually. at this particular bank I spread salt on lot and take my backpackblower (for this job in particular) and blow the sidewalks off really quick and hand spread the concrete safe ice melt on the sidewalks leading into the bank. So the sidewalks look really good because they just got there normal dose. Some of the parking folks have to walk across the lot to get to the bank entrance.
  16. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

i wish i was your buddy in situations like that i would have you back right up to the shed and let er spin wise man once told me a penny saved is a penny earned. when im doing straight sand and want to get rid of it i drive with spreader on down the road but my gosh salt is 70 bucks a ton in my area. that stuff is like gold to me
  17. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Penny saved is a penny earned, Im with ya there. I use bagged salt and just simply added to much to the sprader this time on accident. Each place gets the same amount every time and somehow I screwed up and added 4 extra bags in the back of the truck. Not sure, like I said i felt like garbage. :confused:
  18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Take your backpack blower back there tonight and clean that sh!t up! Blow it into a pile and scoop it up. I know you won't get all of it, but get the stuff that hasn't been pulverized yet. Doesn't matter if you're sick, you gotta try to fix it.

Get a big enough rubbermaid container to spin your extra salt into or a barrel of some kind.
  19. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

It happens, If I have some left over I take it back home and spread it on my driveway and in front of my house on the road. I would never over spread on a lot because customers watch every move you make now days with all the cameras. Just ask them if the problem is the tracking in the bank and if they say yes just offer to hire a carpet cleaner to shampoo the heavy traffic area for them. It may cost you $200.00 but if it's a good account $200.00 would be a spit in the bucket to keep them happy.
  20. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Thats actually not a bad Idea, I may try to go up there tonite with the backpack and do a little cleanup. Ive got a redmax 7000 backpack and it blows that stuff of the walks like nothing so good idea. It may be a waist of time but it might make me feel better. Im feeling a lot better today also, sore throat still killer but ill make it........