1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

May have bid too high?? Opnions...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bowtieguy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

I bid a job today. It consists of 3 homes all sharing the same driveway. All the homes are up hill. Not real steep but a decent incline. Each have a 2 car garage and the parking area of each is about 3 cars wide and 3 deep. The main run is about 1/8 mile to the first home about 14'wide. The other 2 driveways branch off and are about 30' and 60' long. I would plow at a 2" trigger and return if necessary getting paid for each time. They also want the drives salted each time. I bid $250 plowing and $50 de-icing. The deicing i pretty much figure on breaking even with. I only have 1 other cust that wants it so i buy retail. Thinking i may have goofed on this one.......:cry:

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well, what do you think that you should've bid it at? If that's the price that you need to get, then there isn't anything to worry about, because you won't be losing any money. But, you'll just have to find some other jobs to replace it. If you break down your price, you basically wanted around (roughly) $60 per drive, and about $70 for the entrance. Maybe a little bit high, but I'm new too. Without looking at it, I probably would've been around $165 at the least, and $200 at the most. My price would basically be around $50 per drive, and 35-50 for the entrance. Did you get the job?

3. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

I don't know if i got it or not...yet. They were expecting me but were out when i got there. I had another estimate to give and got that job!payup) I left my estimate at the house of the guy that called me. I starting thinking $200 would have been better. But understand i charge a flat rate no matter how much snow falls. (resis only) Little bit i do good...hammered i really work :dizzy: I was figuring on approx 3 bags of de-ice @ $11-$15 bucks ea. I may call the guy tomorrow to get a "feel" for what he thinks. Go from there...

4. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

You dont sound to far off. Good luck

5. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Thx! This was the largest job i've had to bid on so far! It's just me so i'm trying not to get too deep.......yet:help:

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I never leave an estimate for a new customer. I only talk price with a live person. I ret feedback if I need to do more selling.

7. WALKERS

Mr Bowtie,
    How long do you think it will take you to do them on a average 3in snow?

8. Brant'sLawnCare

I'd call them back tomorrow and see what they say. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

9. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Plowmeister i agree with you. I normally don't leave estimates but i had talked at length with the cust and he told me he wasn't going to be home...my bad.

Walkers i would say around 40 min +/- only 1 driveway needs to be backbladed the other 2 i could get away with minimal if any.

Brant i think i am going to. I would hate to lose the opportunity. esp since it's in my town. I will post my results....

10. WALKERS

I think it is a great price for YOU then.payup:salute:

11. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

True, but an honest mistake for a noob. I don't intentionally try to rip customers off. I try (like all of us) to cover my butt and be fair at the same time. :dizzy: I am going to call the cust. tomorrow and lower the price...I just need a good line....."Hi Mr.Customer...i really screwed up...here's your real price"....:confused: :help:

12. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

pricing

I think that job is not to far off at all,i mean its worth what someone is willing to pay for a good job.I bid on 2 jobs yesterday one was simular to yours, 4 apartments with one drive about half the length of yours 3-4 walk ways and one space for about 4-5 cars at end of drive and i bid 250 including the salt which i figure to be around 150 lbs which i get for $3.50 a 50lb bag,now did she pay less last yr...yes she did...did the guy do a good job and show up half the time? noooooo he didnt...its worth what ever the customer is willing to pay for a good job and thats why you have to quote your price and then stand firm and if you get the job just do it right and show them they didnt make a mistake! Good luck! bye the way i got both jobs. the other was a small comercial lot about 40 yds x 40 yds and 2 small walks..225.00 got that too!! If you worry about your cost and call this guy back and say you bid to high you are going to look like you are a amature or you dont know what you are doing and probably lose the bid anyway...your price is just fine,if you lose it go get 2 more to make up for it!!!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  13. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Yea I think you goofed and went a little high. You are charging them almost $350/hr. I would of charged them a little less than half of that plus charge for salt like you did. I hope you get it though.

14. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Well here's the update.... I called the potential cust. tonight. I explained the prices and offered a discount. I was still too high(as i expected) As we talked more he was very adamant about having the driveways serviced at the drop of a hat. (because of the hill) I explained i do have others and would be there at the least in the am and pm. He ran on about being worried what they would do if my truck broke down :confused: i guess all the last guys never had any breakdowns, but none of them service this cust. anymore either(he's never seen my truck) .Hmmmmm... We had a polite conversation but in the end i am thinking this would have been a PITA customer. Time to move on :salute:......

15. Brant'sLawnCare

Good decision. Glad that you found that out now, instead of halfway through the season. That's why you give 'em a price, and if they don't like it, move on. I'm learning that and getting better about doing it like that.

16. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Yes, i am glad now i am not doing the job. I could hear the phone ringging all hrs of the day and night :dizzy:.....Granted i bid it too high, it was a learning experience for me and i am glad for that, and all you guys here for your advice!

17. WALKERS

Sorry to hear that Yes you can chaulk it up as a learning experience. Remember bid it for ALL the time you invest. Stick to guns when it comes to your price. You know what you have to pay for to make a profit.

18. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i dont think your estimate apparantly would have mattered either way...? he refused your high bid, and then when you told him your other one, he refused that too. it makes you wonder if he refused the second because of the first? oh well there are plenty of other driveways out there, and as long as you were nice to the guy and didn't give any attitude you'll be all set. some people are just out for the rock bottom bid, and others want quality.
    i went and looked at a job that was going to be a PITA, and the guy that wanted it done was a real piece as well. i figured if i was going to make it worth my while not only to plow the driveway, but deal with his BS too, i was going to quote in a little extra. so i gave him a price that i would probably never charge anyone else in hopes he would say no. well he said yes because he heard i was good and wanted it done. so now im getting a good chunk of $ extra for the drive which to me justifies putting up with the other BS. i keep telling myself - just do it, its worth the money -

19. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Your price is your price. Do you try to deal with the manager of McDonalds over the price of the Big Mac? Relax, provide good service and do what and when you say you would go do. This is not lets make a deal...

20. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Yeah he wasn't going with me at all. Yes i goofed on the pricing but once he started on about what would they do if my truck broke down, we need to get up and down the hill at these times, blah,blah,blah. I knew i was doing myself a favor by not having him as a cust. Fordzilla i do the same thing if a cust. is a drive to get to i will add a little to the price. I also will give them a small discount here and there if they get me work in the neighborhood.