1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

May buy an HTS plow, are people happy with them?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JerseyShorePlow, Feb 20, 2014.

1. JerseyShorePlow

JerseyShorePlow Junior Member

I've got it narrowed down to the HTS and another brand. The HTS has the cylinder only for lifting the blade, the other has the chain. My question is....How are these cylinder only plows? Can you still get a true 'float'? Is stacking a problem? Do they take more abuse and require more maintenance? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The HTS is a hobby plow. The lift ram is essential because they are so light they need the scrape lock to keep it from riding on top of the snow. But compared to the down pressure offered by other brands scrape lock is pretty much useless. I also don't care for the single leg landing gear. Stacking works pretty good and they seem to float just fine. Certainly not a plow to be using for commercial snow removal. Just not heavy enough to take the daily beating. HTS was designed for people who need a plow to clear their own driveway, not to be used for hours at a time, day after day.

3. RoseHillFarm

RoseHillFarm Junior Member

I have a western hts, on a 150. I do 23 driveways and 2 lots. 2 years old and the plow is tough. As you can imagen I've taken some hard hits and hit some banks hard too. The plow is sound. The only down side I have is it sucks for lots. You cannot get wings and you have to use less and less of the blade for each pass. Otherwise you will have spill off. Great plow for doing residentials.

4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i've had mine 4 seasons now. and except for a mishap i had 2 storms ago (i ran into a rail) the plow has been fantastic. i concur about the miserable backdrag capabilities but going forward it is fantastic and can take some abuse. stacking isn't a problem it just won't go as high as a chain lift system due to the physical limits of the lift. but it does VERY well. as opposed to most others i like the fact that it is light cause it beats up the truck less. and the major reason for me here in nj is that for the 9 or so moths the plow is off the truck you can barely tell it has a mount on the front. once you take the flared receivers off you have to look pretty hard to see the mount. you want to take a ride up north (near morristown) one day you can check mine out.

5. RoseHillFarm

RoseHillFarm Junior Member