1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

May buy a MD75, are people happy with them?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by JerseyShorePlow, Feb 20, 2014.

1. JerseyShorePlow

JerseyShorePlow Junior Member

I'm buying a plow and its either the Dogg MD75 or Western HTS. The big difference is the Dogg is a chain lift, and the HTS is a cylinder only lift. I'm told due to the lighter weight of these plows, the cylinder may be better to 'hold down' for scraping as there is not enough weight from the plow.
    Anyone have experience or advice on this? I was set to get the Dogg but now am concerned it may not hold down well. Its going a new Jeep wrangler.
    Thanks

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I have a snowdogg and love mine. Granted, mine is a heavy duty vs. a medium/light duty, but you'll love the stainless. It will always look new and you won't ever need to repaint it. I don't personally have any experience with either of these two plows, but I'm partial to Snowdogg as mine has worked great for me and I have yet to have any problems. And I've logged A LOT of hours on mine this season, and I'm not easy on equipment.

3. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I've had my MD75 for 4 years and it has served me well. Added a back drag edge and it works.

It's not an 800 pound plow so it will float. Key is to push with the storm and not try to move 10" (though it will!) at time.

Don't know much about the HTS but I would suggest looking at the manual and see if it recommends plowing in "float mode" .. That would essentially protect the cylinder from when you run into fixed objects doing essentially the same as a chain lift.....

gb

4. JustJeff

What does float mode have to do with chain lift vs. direct lift? Float mode is designed to let the blade follow the contour of the ground.

5. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I'm not that technical but float not only allows the blade to Float as you indicate but it takes pressure off the lift and angle rams. If you nail something under the snow the plow A) should trip and B) the cylinders are in a position to collapse and not be damaged.

If the lift is cylinder is under pressure when you drop the blade my expectation is that the same would not hold true. If you maintain pressure on the cylinder then when you hit something you can damage it. SnoWay offers specific Down pressure capability buit have not seen that with any others. One of their differentiators...

I could be wrong but that's my understanding....

6. JustJeff

Okay, I'm a simple man, and honestly you just confused me! My point was/is, if you're plowing, and your plow has a float mode, you should be using it every time.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I don't always run in float mode If the lot is flat and have long runs I wont run float to help save on the cutting edge

8. JustJeff

I've never seen a flat lot.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

There out there not many I only have 2 out of 52 lots That is nice flat one is asphalt and other one is concrete both have long runs

10. soapy

soapy Junior Member
    from idaho

I am on my third year with a md75 and have not had a single problem. I plow 4 one acre lots and a 1/4 mile driveway/road everytime it slows in Idaho. I would buy one again in a minute if I needed to.

11. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Keep your fingers crossed, you are one of the lucky ones.

12. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

4th year here and flat out beat it this year... no issues so far.....

13. NTO

NTO Junior Member

I have a VMD and owned Snoways prior to this. I thought I was going to miss the down pressure, but honestly, I don't. I don't have problem with the plow floating up on the snow. I get right down to pavement in all of my lots and driveways. I do like the chain lift design a little better than the one cylinder design. I must have fixed my A frame on the Snoway at least 3 times due to hitting things in down pressure mode. Hope this helps.

14. jccntry

jccntry Junior Member

I have also ran an MD75 for several years. The only problem I have is liquid getting into the connections when plowing during snowy or sleeting times. Once I taped the connections together to keep out moisture, I have had No problems with it. At times I could use more downward pressure but not at the cost of the trip not working.
    Hope that helps.

Jerry

15. JustJeff

If you put dielectric grease in your connections you shouldn't have a problem.

16. Gibby515

Gibby515 Junior Member

Any prob w the plow bouncing when transporting, due to the light weight and chain lift?

17. NTO

NTO Junior Member

I haven't had any problem with my plow bouncing. I have a VMD though. A little heavier. If your front end of your trucks suspension is spongy...I would think it would bounce regardless. Check into Timbrens if you have to.

18. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Hey jerry. Pick up a tube of Dielectric grease from your local automotive store. Squire some of this grease into each connector. I also put the grease in the connector at the end of the season. This grease helps make a good electrical connection and keeps moisture and salt out. This will save your connectors from corrosion later down the road.

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

They are great plows, you won't be disappointed.

In regards to the plow floating up, it won't unless you are on a really long push with a LOT of snow in front of it - if that is the case, doesn't matter if its a 9'6" V like I have that weighs about 1,000lbs, it WILL float up. The hydraulics on the HTS are off the old Homesteader plows that were made of plastic and very lightweight. The piston even not in float mode, will not keep the plow down if it encounters too much snow or an object. It has a relief valve so it won't hurt the hydraulics.

20. Gibby515

Gibby515 Junior Member

Well I had my MD-75 installed in Oct but have yet to use it! I like the way it looks, seems like a good quality plow, but until I get to use it for its intended purpose, all I can say is it looks real sharp sitting in my garage! Lol