1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

May be going from long time ford to dodge owner

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by big_belly4ever, Aug 3, 2010.

1. big_belly4ever

big_belly4ever Member

I have been checking out the 2010 dodge 2500 crew short box with hemi and a new boss v for this year. Right know the pricing beets fords only reason I'm considering the dodge. with the 5 year or 100000 mile warranty I'm not quite worried. only thing im worried about is the stigma as i grew up about trannys and now axle joints keep going on guys that i have talked to. should be covered but i cant have down time. need not worry or what ? any dodge owners convert me lol

2. honda12967

honda12967 Member

The only good thing about dodge is the quote "Dodge the father, Ram the Daughter" But other than that Chevy all the way. Every dodge that I know has had a drive train problem, My buddies Ram 3500 has gone through 2-3 trannys and its an 05-06. They look good but i don't think I would trust them, But thats just my 2 cents other people may love them and have good luck with them.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fixed it for you,you should be using spell check!

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

All joking aside (which is mostly what you'll find here), the new Dodge trucks are tough. I haven't spent a lot of time in the 2010's, but have test driven them and I do like them. I haven't had any major issues with my 2004.5 other than routine maintenance. I've replaced balljoints, steeing linkage, and a few u-joints, but what do you really expect out of a heavy work truck with 100K on it? I'm not complaining.

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

bad transmisions are a thing of the past for dodges. they have had good trannies for 5 years now. just remember alot of transmission problems occur when you add power add ons. a stock motor and tranny will go a long time but when you buy a 500 dollar chip that gives another 200 horse to the truck things will break. i am happy with my dodge it plows snow really well. i cant say anything about u-joints on the 10's because there bigger than the 3rd gens but the earlier models had problems with seals leaking grease then the joint would run dry. most people put greasable joints in. its not a hard job to replace them and if they do go they wont leave you stranded, you can feel them binding and will go a few hundred miles till they start squeking.

6. honda12967

honda12967 Member

Hahaha thanks for the spell check Grandview. I Must of missed that

7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Good luck having had a 05' 3/4 an now a 08' 1 ton and I have had to replace the hole front ends on both of them after every season of plowing and both of them have never broken 100k in milage. Have had to replace the 08's front end twice now with only 70k on it thank god for a 100K mile warrenty. My comment to you if you buy one is replace the hole front end with better then OEM parts and make sure the have grease zerts for them because Dodge's are all sealed !!!

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Basically the u joints don't like water. They get water in them and fail. Same goes for the hub bearings. Ball joints- any 3/4 or 1 ton truck used for plowing will eat them up.

Upgrade your Ujoints to spicer greasable units and they'll last awhile. Carli suspension makes Ball joints that are a 1 and done deal-replace once and they won't go bad again ($800 for the set). You can get a dynatech free spin kit for the hubs ($1800) and have serviceable and unlockable hubs. Do all this and you really won't have to worry about the front end again.

As for the tranny, its been out since 1999 (first debuted in the grandcherokee) and is a very reliable unit, although not the best gear spacing compared to todays newer 6 speed autos.

All in all the 2010 ram is a great choice (they have larger ujoints too).

9. plowguy43

Oh yeah if the price was the same I'd go with a 2011 Superduty- nice V8 but an awesome tranny and a solid chassis as well.

10. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

plowguy I understand what your saying but i guess my point is that you shouldn’t have to do all of this if dodge would just make the front ends serviceable in the first place. I yet to hear about a Ford or chevy shelling out the hole front end of their trucks before 30k of miles. They are building a HD truck they should make the parts up front HD or at least grease-able.

11. plowguy43

I agree with you 100%. Although doing it all before 30k I don't think is really the norm. Another dodge truck forum I go to seems to have a mix between guys with horror stories and guys that rarely have a problem (guys have higher mileage trucks with no problems).
    Hopefully the 10's hold up better but I doubt it since its mostly the same except the ujoints.

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Look at Ballistic Fabrication. They have a much nicer kit available now. Uses OEM Ford-spec Dana 60 components, which are a dime a dozen and every parts store carries them.

13. plowguy43

Really, that sounds nice as well. How does it compare in price?