1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

May be buying new GMC/Chevy....Have a few questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TLS, Mar 17, 2014.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Looking to sell my 2004 GMC 2500HD REGULAR cab.

Has a 9.2 BOSS V and BOSS power hitch spreader.

Truck has 38,XXX miles (yes THAT low!)

Trying to decide on either a 2014 or 2015 GMC or Chevy 2500HD REGULAR cab.

I'm really upset that the new HD's don't come with the new EcoTec direct injection engines. I thought the '15's would finally see the 6.2 420hp.

So that being said, I don't feel like waiting another 1-2 years for this engine to trickle UP to the HD's.

What exactly is the difference between the 14's and 15's???

And can anyone confirm that you can get the following on the WT package:

Or do I have to move up a trim level to get these?

Any thoughts on the 3.73 vs 4.10's??? I have the 4L80 currently which has 4.10's but the 1st and Reverse aren't as low as the 6L90's. Just concerned of reverse speed on a big parking lot with 4.10's and the LOW Reverse gearing of the 6L90. I've driven my Fathers Duramax/Allison and Reverse was VERY low even with 3.73's. Feels like its really tach'ing up on long reverse runs.

And what is it with dealers only carrying REGULAR cab pickups in the color WHITE!?!? :cry:

I want a 2500HD REGULAR CAB, Maroon with the above options.

Any thoughts on whether to trade in the current truck (with or w/o plow and spreader), sell it privately (with or w/o plow and spreader)? I would likely get a new plow/spreader with the new truck.

Sorry to ramble...
  2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

White long box am/fm radio 4 tires bench seat and an engine is your work truck special. If someone wants more thrills they will most likely order it. Dealer doesn't want to be stuck with a loaded to the tits truck that's just going to sit on his or hers lot and will have to eventually take a hit to sell it.

I cant see those options you want being avail in a work truck. Work truck is bare bones usually. No info up on GM website?
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

2015 2500hd work truck. Doesn't come with any of that, special order is the way to go if you want all that stuff in a wt edition.
  4. Northwind

Northwind Junior Member
    from Da U.P.

I think your going to have a hard time finding all of that in a WT. I was looking for the opposite (crank windows, no power locks etc...). There didn't seem to be a lot out there with the incentives they had on the 2500's at the time (2013 & 14). I did find one 4 hours away. Might be better in your area. I did want 3:73, the better tires and snow plow prep. Don't recall seeing any with Bluetooth or heated mirrors. Some had rear defrost.
  5. Drewster2012

Drewster2012 Senior Member
    from Ma

May have to look at the chevy LT model for the bluetooth and power mirrors.. The wt doesent even have power extending tow mirrors I don't think
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure if you can get a Z71 in a RC/LB or not...but if you can, DON'T. Mucho modifications for plow mounts.
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, my current is a SLE. And it was a stock unit. But, that was 2004 and 10+ years later, things with trucks sure have changed.

I've become so used to the Bluetooth on my G8 that I really miss it while plowing.

I think I will have to end up ordering.

Any further thoughts on 3.73 vs 4.10? This will not be a highway truck, maybe a trip down the shore or something, but mainly a mowing and plowing work only truck. Just concerned with these new 6sp trannys that 4.10 might hinder reverse speed.

What is it specifically in the Z-71 package that makes things hard with the mount. Z-71 back in the day was just slightly better shock absorbers.

As for the mirrors, I want heated (IMO mandatory on a plow truck) as is the rear defrost.

Tire wise....any specific tire better than others? 17/18"? Never really had good luck plowing with an All Terrain. The heavily sipped all seasons are better in snow.

I'd go with Dual Battery and block heater if I ordered. They are both very inexpensive options.

Any worries about roof marker lights leaking (they did on my '90)?

Thanks for everyone's input!
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I wonder if they could make those wheel wells any more square.
  9. SnowGuy73

Z71 has skid plates too.

My 2013 has roof lamps, no leaky!
  10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold with the looks, but it's human nature for new models to take time to grow on you. The white truck above that was posted really accentuates the VERY square wheel wells! I hear they use a liner in the rear now, is that a good or bad thing as far as washing up behind them?

I don't think I'd order the Z71 unless it gets you something worthwhile that the Snowplow Prep doesn't.

Guess I should make it clear (after looking at some avatars :rolleyes: ) that I have nothing against a white truck, it just seems to be what all the local dealers have. And I have a RED/SPORT RED tradition to maintain!
  11. SnowGuy73

My 2013 z71, LT2 came with the plow prep package as well.
  12. SnowGuy73

I know a few years back you couldn't get the z71 package on the hd trucks, now I guess you can being I have it.

The one pictures is not the z71 but the dealer I use has nbs 2015 2500hd with the z71 package and the plow prep package as well.
  13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like Z71 includes:

A special Z71 badge
    Rancho Shocks
    Transfercase skid plate
    Hill decent control (also available as separate package)

But, on GMC's you need to get the SLE package to get Z71

Not a deal breaker at all.
  14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, on the Chevy's the Z71 has the following. Guess there's a bigger difference between CHEVY and GMC these days:

Z71 Appearance Off-Road Package
    This available option includes the following features:

46mm high-pressure gas-charged shocks
    A 36mm front stabilizer bar
    Off-road jounce bumpers to absorb large suspension inputs
    Under body transfer case shield
    High-capacity air cleaner
    Z71 badge and decals
    Unique gauge cluster, lower bumper appearance, interior trim plates and grill design
    Brushed metal Z71 door sill plate
    Hill descent control

ON EDIT:
    You already get the HD air cleaner and TransferCase skid plate with the Snowplow prep. So really this is an appearance (badge) and shock absorber package.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  15. trevier

trevier Senior Member

buy a 3/4 ton ford, you'll be happy. With all the recalls there have been on gm cars/trucks I doubt I would buy another one.
  16. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

You can get work trucks with power windows and heated back window/mirrors. I have seen them like that up here in Maine
  17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I need an adjustable torsion bar front suspension to deal with my V-Plow. I'll never drive a FORD. GM boy all my life.

As far as the power windows/locks/defroster, I know you can. Not sure about Bluetooth and remote start yet.
  18. eludemann

eludemann Member

As far as the 3:73 vs. the 4:10, I tried to build a 2015 3500 online, and the 3:73 was only available with the duramax, not the gas. I didn't check the 2500's or ask the dealer, though.
  19. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to go with the 3500 SRW, but price was a bit higher for only a couple hundred pounds GVWR
  20. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2012 CC srw 3500hd. WT with heated power mirrors and remote start.