1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

max weight......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Nov 1, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

What would be the max weight of a plow any of you would consider for a 2003 F150 xlt. Im trying to get a Western put on that weighs in at 540 lbs but the dealer seems to be given me the run around. I looked into Boss plows today and the price is cheaper but the weight is 648 for the standard duty plow. Would this be too much for my truck?

Also does anyone have any info on these Boss plows? Thanks

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

A straight foward answer to your question: 750 LBS is about max for those trucks, thats what mine weighs, its on a 2000 F-150 XLT EXT Cab with the 7700 GVWR package. Truck barely drops with plow raised. I would not worry too much about 648 LBS, it will be fine.

3. clncut

just looked at my truck and the gvwr package is only the 6500. Little concerned that 650 lbs may be to much. What do you think?

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

550 Lb. Range Is Max. For A 1/2 Ton

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Beef up the front end a little and get the western if thats what you want, if you are concerned then get a plow in the 500 LB range. I would not worry too much about 650 LBS, what you really need to do is go to the scales (i know it can be a PITA) and weigh the truck and see what you have left. If it has to be overweight so be it. Axle ratings are always at least a hair higher then what the manufacturer tells you. Alot of peoples trucks are overweight when set up to plow, in the end its a matter of personal perference. I would not say hang a blizzard 810 off it, but any 7'6" plow should be reasonable.

6. clncut

What about the Boss plow. Has anyone used them, heard good or bad things about them?

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

when i was looking at plows, the heniker dealer tried telling me the plow would be fine on my truck, then i asked him how much it weighed and he said 750, i couldnt belive he said that, because i KNOW it wouldnt work, well it'd work, but it'd sag ALOT. longstory short i told him use his salesman skills elsewhere.

if i were you, look into a snoway and see if they have any dealers near you.

just my .02154 cents adjusted for inflation.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This is coming from a guy who is "hopefully getting a blizzard 760" which weighs in at 720lbs...

9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

does it really? i thought it weighed in the 600lb range... hmm, ill have to tripple check that. thanks for pointing it out.

10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Check out the manufacturer web sites and see what they recommend for your truck. The GVWR on my truck is 6400, FGAWR 3925, and my set up weighs in at just under 640lbs.

Check into timbrens, don't forget ballast, and don't plow like a bozo and you should be ok.

11. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Yes the Blizzard 760lt weighs 550lbs
    the 760 regular is in the 700lbs category

I would only run max 600 lbs on that truck