1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Max weight for snow plow

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by glennv, Nov 12, 2011.

1. glennv

glennv Junior Member
    from RI

I'm buying a plow for my 2001 and was wondering what the max weight the jeep will handle up front. 300lbs? 600 lbs? The truck has a RE 3.5 inch lift so the company is fabbing a custom mount. I'm just concerned about the total weight.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

With air shocks and #400 counter weight, my plow and mount weigh ~# 760

3. glennv

glennv Junior Member
    from RI

Thanks for the info. just curious, what's a #400 counter weight?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Also known as ballast, a weight added to the rear of the vehicle to counter balance the weight of the snowplow up front.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ballast can be placed anyplace. placing it in front of the rear tires is not as effective as counter weight.

ballast is typically places on the center of balance so as to not change the overall balance of an object or placed over wheels to aid in traction.

Counter weight is used to COUNTER the weight of something. Elevators use counter weights. It wouldnt do to put the weight on the bottom of the elevator.

Just ask anyone that fly's planes and ask what happens if you place the ballast in any place except the CG (center of balance).