1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

max tow weight

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChloMag, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

Does anyone know what the max towing capability is for an '04 2500HD? Max tongue weight? The truck has a short bed and extended cab 4X4.

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Mag.........Have a 04 book handy.............
    Your truck has 6.0, auto, 4:10s, factory tow pkg. and hitch ?............

Tongue weight max. 1500 lbs. with weight dist. hitch (and bars)
    Max. trailer weight 10,300 lbs.
  3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Not to nit pick but maximun trailer weight is not the best indication of capacity. The GCWR (gross combination weight rating) is the best indication.
    This is the maximum weight of truck, passengers, cargo, and trailer. The GCWR for your truck is 16,000lbs. The more you carry in the truck the lighter trailer you can pull.
  4. sonjaab

CAL.............Thanks for posting that. I was at the Chevy dealer
    today looking for the BIG GM tow guide that shows the max.
    GCWRs for the different models.

The o4 small guide I have mentions GCWR but does not show the
    weights like the big book does...............geo :drinkup:
  5. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

tow weight

I have the 8100 engine, I'll have to check on the transmission (allison I believe). I bought it used at auction with no manuals. Dealer demo, manuals were to be delivered a week ago, that was in NOV. It does have the factory tow package.

I have a 7X14 dump trailer, GVW of 14,000 lbs. I had the trailer reg. changed to 10,000 lbs to avoid the combination reg. for the truck. With 2 cords of green firewood loaded I am good on a smooth road. The truck can handle it. When I get on a country road I can only operate at 30 to 40 mph because one bad bump feels like it could cause loss of control. The trailer loaded with two cords weighs approx. 9,800 lbs.

I have no clue what the tongue weight is. The load is evenly distributed over the 4 wheels.
  6. sonjaab

CHLO............If you have the 8.1...........12,000 lb. trailer weight.
    Calhoun can tell ya the GCWR.............

Does the trailer have a data plate somewhere?
  7. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Sure can,
    It depends on your rear end ratio the 8.1 came with 3.73 (RPO GT4) or 4.10 (RPO GT5)

GCVW for 3.73 = 20,000
    GVCW for 4.10 = 22,000
  8. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

Thanks for the information.
  9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

9,800 lbs should be no problem for that truck.... I have towed ~8,000 lbs of stone in a similar trailer and my 6.0 reg cab handled it fine.