1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Max speed in 4 wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rdsealey, Nov 23, 2003.

1. rdsealey

rdsealey Junior Member

I have an 85 k20. I was thinking about changing or rebuilding the front axle. When running in 2wd with the front hubs locked it makes a lot of noise, at 55mph. In 4wd it makes even more noise at 55mph. I currently have the 10 bolt front end and it needs to be rebuilt. If I switch to a dana 44 will that provide a quieter ride? Or should I just rebuild this 10 bolt. This truck is used mostly for daily driver and some hauling duties, nothing over 5000 lbs yet. The reason that I would like to be able to run highway speeds with the front hubs locked is because I live in MT, we get lots of snow. I am lazy and don't want to have to get out and lock and unlock the hubs all the time.

Robert Sealey
  2. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I have a '75 K25 with Dana 44 front axle and the NP203 fulltime transfer case. I have the original hubs and they are always engaged.

I've gotten used to the axle noise, but it just about drowns out the radio at highway speeds. I tried replacing the fluid, but that didn't seem to change the noise. I may also be getting some noise from my transfer case, but its kind of hard to tell. Leaving the hubs locked may increase the noise, but it won't hurt anything but your ears.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Just turn the radio up louder.:D
  4. rdsealey

rdsealey Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, maybe I shouldn't be lazy and just unlock the hubs.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I shouldn't be lazy and just get out and unlock the hubs. I have had a couple of other 4x4, a Ranger and an S-10. Both would make noise but usually not until a higher speed, like 75 mph. Then there is also the comment taht I should probably slow down if I am in conditions that warrant or need 4wd going 55 mph isn't the brightest idea.